Talk about anything Star Wars here!

Gun Batteries

no avatar
User

Marcs

17 Feb 2010, 18:34

Gun Batteries

by Marcs » 04 Jun 2010, 14:46

Something recently has been bothering me about weapons in SW ships.

How many guns are in a Battery?

It confuses me after re-reading the description of this ship: Pellaeon-class Star Destroyer

And comparing it to the Imperial II-class Star Destroyer.

How can the Pellaeon have more guns if the ISD MkII has more weapon batteries??

/discuss :ugeek:
no avatar
User

Deety

14 Feb 2010, 13:09

Re: Gun Batteries

by Deety » 04 Jun 2010, 19:00

Batteries are just several cannons close together and firing at the same target. There may be more guns per batterie on the Palleaon class cruiser : according to Wookiepedia, there were "up to ten weapons of the same type per battery.", whereas most of the ISD mk2's batteries only had 2 or 4 guns (up to 8 for the biggest of them).
no avatar
User

Marcs

by Marcs » 04 Jun 2010, 22:45

Deety wrote:Batteries are just several cannons close together and firing at the same target. There may be more guns per batterie on the Palleaon class cruiser : according to Wookiepedia, there were "up to ten weapons of the same type per battery.", whereas most of the ISD mk2's batteries only had 2 or 4 guns (up to 8 for the biggest of them).

So that means that one baterie of turbos contains 10 turbo turrets? Meaning 5 bateries is 50 turbos turrets.

Where as the ISD Mk. IIs bateries one turbo baterie contains 4 turbo turrets which 5 bateries translate to 20 turbo turrets.

But still, counting bateries is still some what confusing on ships that dont define how many guns/turrets a baterie contains like both Assault Frigates as an example. In reality, how many guns/turrets does a batery make?
no avatar
User

Rasori

21 May 2010, 17:21

by Rasori » 06 Jun 2010, 15:57

A battery is arbitrary. You wouldn't call a single gun a battery, but any number from 2 to 300 that can shoot at the same target at one time can be termed a battery.

In RL navy terms, generally batteries are divided up by gun range and use. Long-range offensive guns will all be lumped into one battery, as, being on turrets (and therefore usually able to aim at any target) they are essentially one unit, whereas the shorter-ranged guns can't be used alongside them and therefore are a separate battery.

SW uses similar terms, but the gun placement (coupled with the more 3D-nature of space) makes it so that even if two guns on opposite sides of the ship have the same range and firing rate, they can't usually hit the same target. Therefore they wouldn't be a battery. Any of the guns that are capable of firing at one target simultaneously will generally be lumped into a battery, hence the differing size of batteries.
no avatar
User

Cropto

15 Feb 2010, 00:29

A shed on the Northpole (I have internet :D)

by Cropto » 06 Jun 2010, 22:40

Whenever I refer to a battery when writing the infocards I mainly use the word ''battery'' for Heavy Turbolaser Guns with at least two barrels and alot of effect when they shoot
(When you sit next to them on a chair and they shoot, you'll be blown 30 meter up in the air.... and that's 30 meters from only a sound wave, you'll get another 20 from the actually energy that gets free)
''Hacking makes all things work better''
no avatar
User

Marcs

by Marcs » 06 Jun 2010, 23:17

So when referring to a batterie in any capital ship one should consider it a turret? But wont that mean that a batterie of 5 heavy turboloasers equal just 5 turrets?

*edit*
Just so we are in the same page, im talking about These Heavy Turbo Lasers.
no avatar
User

currican

14 Feb 2010, 19:00

by currican » 07 Jun 2010, 00:34

This should answer all your questions:

Turret: (Military). a domelike, sometimes heavily armored structure, usually revolving horizontally, within which guns are mounted, as on a fortification, ship, or aircraft.

Battery:
  1. (Military)-
      two or more pieces of artillery used for combined action.
  2. (Navy)-
      a.(on a warship) a group of guns having the same caliber or used for the same purpose.
      b. the whole armament of a warship.
"does "multiplayer only" mean it has no singleplayer?"

— Random

OMG! Here they come!
no avatar
User

Marcs

by Marcs » 07 Jun 2010, 01:02

currican wrote:This should answer all your questions:

Turret: (Military). a domelike, sometimes heavily armored structure, usually revolving horizontally, within which guns are mounted, as on a fortification, ship, or aircraft.

Battery:
  1. (Military)-
      two or more pieces of artillery used for combined action.
  2. (Navy)-
      a.(on a warship) a group of guns having the same caliber or used for the same purpose.
      b. the whole armament of a warship.

I already knew what those things are, the problem is that its hard to tell how many guns are in a battery on SW ships that dont have the propper information.

It will stay a mystery I guess.
no avatar
User

currican

14 Feb 2010, 19:00

by currican » 07 Jun 2010, 10:06

Marcs wrote:
I already knew what those things are, the problem is that its hard to tell how many guns are in a battery on SW ships that dont have the propper information.

It will stay a mystery I guess.

Easy.

An Imperial Star Destroyer has 60 Taim & Bak XX-9 heavy turbolasers and 60 Borstel NK-7 ion cannons. It's set up consisted of 6 turbolaser batteries and 2 of ion cannon batteries. This makes it have 10 turbolasers per battery and 30 per ion battery.

Apart from the most common ones, all we can do is "guesstimate" the number of guns/turrets/batteries an uncommon ship has by looking at a similar type ships that we do have the info on. We can't do nothing more.

The more you look into SW, the more you'll see contradicting "canon" information.
"does "multiplayer only" mean it has no singleplayer?"

— Random

OMG! Here they come!
no avatar
User

Cropto

15 Feb 2010, 00:29

A shed on the Northpole (I have internet :D)

by Cropto » 07 Jun 2010, 15:32

Curri, tell me how you fix that for the infocards?
I used ''Battery'' for the 8 heavy guns on the side of the ISD
(And any other heavy gun mounted on a ship, ships like the Nebulon-B have turrets, ships like the ISD and the Strike Class have a few Batteries. Its safe to say that I use ''battery'' for any gun that's listed as ''Heavy'' or ''Large'' on Wookiepedia)

Agree? or do you have an other solution?
''Hacking makes all things work better''
Next