User

Sizer

Rank

Developer

08 Sep 2010, 23:56

Oakland, California, USA

Sizer's Star Wars Rebels Rant

by Sizer » 23 Jul 2014, 01:55

This is entirely stream of stream of consciousness and will likely jump all over the place.

I'm really disappointed in Star Wars Rebels and this obsession with having Jedi main characters. In having these other Jedi running about, it diminishes the horror of the galaxy's state during the original films. Luke was THE LAST active Jedi - all of the others had either gone to ground like Obi-wan or Yoda, had been slaughtered by Vader and the Inquisitorius, or had joined any of the Emperor's various dark orders. This does leave room for active rebel Jedi/FUs, provided that they're dealt with before the time of ANH. AFAIK, Rebels happens some time before ANH (18 years between Sith and ANH provides a lot of time for story). Here's the thing - I highly doubt that Rebels, a kid show, will be able to deal with it - Clone Wars ended before Sith and Order 66, sending Ahsoka ronin - on walkabout, effectively saving her from death without explicitly stating it. Can't have our favorite characters swept up in the orgy of death now, can we?

And for Clone Wars, that was OK. We know that a decent number of Jedi escaped the Purge, and most of them hid or were later tracked down and executed. Having Ahsoka go to ground a hermit, hiding from the Empire is a decent way to write the character out from death. Rebels, however, faces a different problem. As mentioned, this period of SW history is dark as all hell. Introducing Jedi/Jedi In Training characters in this point makes little sense - the Inquisitorius would move to eliminate them pretty quickly. And don't fool yourself. Let's say they survive the first attack. The next one would not fail. You either go to ground or you died, that's how it was.

I, for one, would have much rather seen a series based around a group of non force users, an early Rebel cell, working with what they had against an implacable foe. Giving them force users gives them too much of a weapon. How much more interesting would it have been to have an episode arc about tracking down a hiding Jedi, only to realize that by doing so, our intrepid heroes have led the Inquisitorius right to him - and the Jedi dies.

Idunno, I just worry that the tone is gonna be completely off. The Rebellion was supposed to have been a huge struggle until just before ANH. If a show were to be set where Rebels is, a darker tone of hopelessness with the occasional pyrrhic victory to give glimmers of hope would have been much more to my liking. But then this is a kids show. Blarg.

/meandering rant
User

Teradyn

Rank

Galactic Empire Command

27 Mar 2014, 21:06

The Sovereign Nation of Texas

Re: Sizer's Star Wars Rebels Rant

by Teradyn » 23 Jul 2014, 05:10

Doing this as a cartoon for kids basically forces it into this kind of crap. And just like Star Wars Galaxies, everyone wants (to be) a Jedi! Pretty much continuing whoring out of the great story that could have been for more toy sales... just like the ewoks.

User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 23 Jul 2014, 05:22

It's going to take a while, but I think eventually we're going to get the Star Wars TV show we've been promised. The dark, gritty one that doesn't focus on Jedi or the Force.

It is frustrating that every other major IP out there has been given more adult treatment than Star Wars. Marvel and DC have all had their kids cartoon shows (some of them very good, some not so good), and then their more serious endeavors like Agents of SHIELD, Arrow (Smallville I guess, too), and the upcoming Gotham.

Then you've got your Battlestar Galactica and Caprica which both had their ups and downs but I found to be pretty engaging. Even Stargate and Star Trek have had their chances to turn dark and moody. The sad fact is, unless you include certain EU books and parts of the Clone Wars series, Star Wars hasn't had a good dramatic turn since Empire...which was 34 years ago or something close to it.

I doubt we're going to see any movement on a live-action TV front from Star Wars until we're a few movies into the new series.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
User

Rogueleeder

Rank

New Republic

04 Dec 2011, 23:33

Nova Scotia Canada

by Rogueleeder » 23 Jul 2014, 13:39

Well I would have hoped they'd maybe do the same sort of plots as books such as Rise of Darth Vader with Roan Shryne, or perhaps the violent series of books following Feris Olin. Both of those had endings where the Jedi died along with a ton of collateral damage (friendly clone troopers, wookiees, he'll even senator Fang Zar) which would have been great to see on TV. (just to note a Jedi padawan Olee Starstone escaped vader and later joined the smuggling crew of the Drunk Dancer, later a rebel vessel)

I would even have been happy with something like the Force Unleashed with all characters being from the new order and later realising it's crap and trying to form the Alliance. I'm fully on board with the idea of the alliance being in a struggle as I like seeing big laser shoot outs with lots of tactics. I want to have the same sort of interaction with the Rebel Troopers as the Clone Wars gave us with the Clones.
Chief Adviser to New Republic Command

Retired from combat operations

Side Positions:
Lore Staff
Admin Assistant
Blame RL he wasn't here enough
User

Sovereign

09 Mar 2010, 00:09

Connecticut, USA

by Sovereign » 23 Jul 2014, 16:54

Teradyn wrote:And just like Star Wars Galaxies, everyone wants (to be) a Jedi!

Oh goddammit. R.I.P.

I for one never wanted to be a Jedi, I was happy being a number (Stormtrooper).
no avatar
User

Starkill

16 Apr 2010, 07:03

by Starkill » 23 Jul 2014, 17:36

Sovereign wrote:
Teradyn wrote:And just like Star Wars Galaxies, everyone wants (to be) a Jedi!

Oh goddammit. R.I.P.

I for one never wanted to be a Jedi, I was happy being a number (Stormtrooper).

TK-3790 Reporting for Duty!

Crap, haven't said that in so many years. RIP SWG.
no avatar
User

Kablob

04 Sep 2010, 02:56

by Kablob » 25 Jul 2014, 02:24

Seriously, why do so many people want some unrelentingly bleak grimdark Star Wars series? Because that describes the exact opposite of what Star Wars is. A New Hope, anybody?
User

Teradyn

Rank

Galactic Empire Command

27 Mar 2014, 21:06

The Sovereign Nation of Texas

by Teradyn » 25 Jul 2014, 05:09

No, what we want is the critically acclaimed masterpiece that was Empire Strikes Back to be a step along a path, not a one-time accident.

User

Sizer

Rank

Developer

08 Sep 2010, 23:56

Oakland, California, USA

by Sizer » 25 Jul 2014, 18:15

I don't want something grimdark per se. But if you're gonna set in in a time period when it was, in fact, grimdark, make it grimdark.
no avatar
User

Starkill

16 Apr 2010, 07:03

by Starkill » 25 Jul 2014, 21:02

I want gritty grim dark. I want Game of Thrones, plus Walking Dead, plus Breaking Bad, covered in grime and with a plot along the lines of Firefly, but all inside the Star Wars universe.

Why? Because screw Force Users, and goody-goody stories, they have been done to death! Now lets do something actually interesting.
Next