Discuss faction and roleplay issues in this out-of-character forum.
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

Interest In Community-Wide Open RP

by DarkForce » 03 Jun 2014, 03:45

Now that things have settled down a bit, I'd like to start getting more of the community involved in the written-RP aspect of the game.

There have been a few well executed RP threads so far, and I've seen a lot of great character profiles and stories. But I'd like to see more of us coming together on a regular basis to flex our creative muscles a bit.

Now, bear in mind that until we're ready we won't be doing any galaxy changing RP threads. So what I'm looking to do is create a sort of open-ended thread where characters can pop in and out at will. I may also consider setting it a bit farther back in the past (a few years before our start date perhaps) to avoid contradicting the current lore.

The ultimate question is what form would you all like this to take? It could be something lighthearted and fun (like a cantina-type which has been suggested to me by other players already), or something more serious like a war-zone. I'm open to suggestions.

Discuss!
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
User

Catbert

21 Jun 2012, 10:49

Russia

Re: Interest In Community-Wide Open RP

by Catbert » 03 Jun 2014, 05:36

I've been considering cantinas for a while, but given the fact that there're a few opposing factions, it'd be good to have a cantina somewhere in the neutral zone to make it available for a broader range of characters (and therefore players). An example from the KotOR era (4,000 BBY) would be planet Manaan, which remained neutral (and had a leverage to maintain its neutrality) during the war between the Republic and the Sith Empire. All fighting between the Republic and Sith troops was prohibited on the surface, so they had to limit themselves to verbal attacks.

Another benefit of a cantina-type RP is that it isn't galaxy-changing (in most ways, at least); the things that happen there tend to stay there. As for other types of open RP, I'll see if I can come up with more ideas. Cantina just seems to be the most obvious one.
My inbox is always open for any feedback and suggestions you might have.
User

Loki

Rank

Galactic Empire

27 Apr 2014, 18:25

Germany

by Loki » 03 Jun 2014, 08:47

I really like the idea of an open RP for the community!

Maybe combine both ideas you spoke of. A warzone with a neutral station nearby where all factions meet and fighting is forbidden.
Master of Propaganda
IFV - Phantom
Reaper - 12

ImageImageImage
no avatar
User

MoreThanSane

11 Jan 2014, 02:59

Calilfornia, US

by MoreThanSane » 04 Jun 2014, 01:25

I haven't take part in a large scale war-zone type RP in years, and I remember the last one being loads of fun. I vote that.
User

Sparta

16 Nov 2010, 00:09

cruising around in my T-65B

by Sparta » 04 Jun 2014, 10:49

Sparta votes RP.

Sparta likes teh sound of battlefield but both options appeal to Sparta.
"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?"

Flight Officer Sachairi Whelan

Any feedback on roleplay, or whatever may be directed to my PM box, thanks. :)
Now running a quaint little blog here.
User

Technogeist

18 May 2014, 03:24

The Land of Hope & Glory

by Technogeist » 16 Jun 2014, 04:09

I was thinking about actually cooking up some RP for my character, but a dedicated thread has been a bit intimidating a thing for me to come up with with my limited attention span. This thread hasn't been updated in a while, so I'd like to bump it. Unless you've made the discussed open-RP thread without me noticing it, in which case, link me up!
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

by DarkForce » 16 Jun 2014, 04:24

Haven't yet. It's on my to do list.

But don't let this stop you from writing your own! There's more than enough room for your character to grow in a thread like the one I described and one of your own stories.
no avatar
User

Leaph Chausew

12 Apr 2012, 10:53

by Leaph Chausew » 21 Jun 2014, 17:49

MoreThanSane wrote:I haven't take part in a large scale war-zone type RP in years, and I remember the last one being loads of fun. I vote that.

I would definitely be interested in a war zone style RP especially if it acted as part of a run up to full release of the game. I love writing and I love large RPs - especially forum based. I enjoy them because they're the kind of thing I can follow and contribute to while completing work tasks too.

I'd be more than happy to help come up with some ideas for a war zone RP, if not even start a minor one as a build up to something larger.
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

by DarkForce » 22 Jun 2014, 18:38

Okay, so here's my idea:

If you've been keeping up with the lore posts on GNN, you'll know that the Mid-Rim battle around the planet Orinda is the current focal point of the clash between the NR and the GE.

My next post (or two) will be bringing that conflict to a close. However, I thought it might be fun to tie in this proposed RP with that battle. I also think keeping the scope of this somewhat limited would be better than a huge spread out battle.

With that in mind, I was thinking of creating a situation where the NR has sent in advance special forces to disable any planetary defenses that the Empire has set up since their occupation of the planet, in preparation for their counter-offensive.

So in this case the NR players would play as the commando squad, and the Empire would be playing the planetary defense garrison.

Secondary options for other factions could include:

Mercenaries or smugglers (from the Hutt faction) who have been stuck on the planet due to the Imperial blockade and get mixed up in the scuffle (either by accident or for their own personal gain).

A small group of Corellian detectives/officers were tracking said smugglers to the planet and similarly have been stuck, but are using it to their advantage to apprehend the criminals. This could also pull them into the battle.

Location and objective wise: I'm thinking a temperate environment, green rolling hills, woods, perhaps a small mountain or two. A small city is at the center of the conflict, and at various points on its outskirts are theater shields, planetary ion cannons and turbolasers, and perhaps even the Imperial garrison base.

I would act as game master, push events forward and present challenges and opportunities to the players.

Granted, the ultimate outcome of this conflict is already set by the lore, but given that ground operations on Orinda have never been covered in the EU, this could go either way.

I'm open to tweaking this idea, so please let me know what you think. I'd like to get it going ASAP, as early as late tonight or early tomorrow. This will be open to all players.
User

Sparta

16 Nov 2010, 00:09

cruising around in my T-65B

by Sparta » 23 Jun 2014, 00:59

Sparta likes this idea
"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?"

Flight Officer Sachairi Whelan

Any feedback on roleplay, or whatever may be directed to my PM box, thanks. :)
Now running a quaint little blog here.
Next