Discuss faction and roleplay issues in this out-of-character forum.
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

Re: In-game rules: to RP or not to RP?

by DarkForce » 24 Sep 2013, 18:36

Tururon wrote:And about Jedi: THAT's what I want. But if I want to RP in Space-opera, why do I have to be a freaking magic user? I want to RP not as super-powered-sith-lord (which I will still do at some point), but as a normal pilot. Still, roleplayong is going to be very hard IMO.

EDIT: Also, in original trilogy all RP was done by not force users, if you understand what I mean. I personally don't like EU force-user-inflation.

Actually, our Force-User factions are going to be deliberately limited. For the players that want to be force-users, entry into those factions will be difficult and require a serious commitment to roleplaying. This is to keep with the idea that at this point in our timeline, the Jedi are only just rebuilding and the Sith remain well hidden.

As for the rest of the players, we expect they'll come in all shapes and sizes (just not mega powerful force users).
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
User

Rogueleeder

Rank

New Republic

04 Dec 2011, 23:33

Nova Scotia Canada

by Rogueleeder » 24 Sep 2013, 19:51

RP in my opinion shouldn't be limited in anyway. Its quite interesting to see what happens as a result sometimes. In the old Freeworlds mod, RP has lead to some quite interesting things. To name an example, as a Jedi Grand Master I openly posted a senate piece slating the New Republic for hiring the Black Sun mercenaries that were attacking Jedi Service Corps freighters. This lead to frosty relations between the Jedi and New Republic as well as causing the Black Sun to attack the Jedi more and the Hutts openly put a bounty on my Grand Masters head. This lead to me becoming an exile and running from all the factions. It was great fun! We have also had the Sith backstab the Empire causing an uneasy alliance between the NR and Empire to defeat the Black Sun and their Sith allies. RP is what shapes gameplay, why not cause a little drama by having a Jedi go a bit out of control and torture a civilian to get information? I mean come on in Canon it happened. Why not have the New Republic get in a sticky situation and turn into a slightly corrupt government with the Jedi being the moral peacekeepers? Anything can happen and most of it turns out fun if done sensibly and maturely. As long as its not completely crazy like having the New Republic become something like the Empire and the Jedi becoming Sith, there shouldn't be any issues.

Just my 2 cents
Chief Adviser to New Republic Command

Retired from combat operations

Side Positions:
Lore Staff
Admin Assistant
Blame RL he wasn't here enough
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

by DarkForce » 25 Sep 2013, 19:02

Rogueleeder wrote:RP in my opinion shouldn't be limited in anyway. Its quite interesting to see what happens as a result sometimes. In the old Freeworlds mod, RP has lead to some quite interesting things.

All games have rules and boundaries. In any game, you're given a task to accomplish, tools to do it with, and are given obstacles along the way to overcome. Think about Dungeons & Dragons and the massive books full of rules that governed how the game was played.

Games that aim to tell a shared story need structure to ensure fairness. To plop a player in the middle of nowhere without any sense of direction would be irresponsible on our part. So, like Dungeons and Dragons (and other pen n' paper RPGs), we have rules and we have a group that will act as Game Master to help spur players into action and keep the plot interesting.

So yes, we're putting limitations on what can and can't be done to prevent things like sudden power grabs, shifts in allegiance, timeline changes, and the adding/dropping of major plot points/characters. It doesn't mean that players can't roleplay who/what/how/where they like, or that things like you suggested won't ever happen, but rather that the sort of big things that affect the story, world, factions, and players will be carefully crafted and curated to ensure that no one person or group is given an unfair advantage.

Many people believe that rules and limitations mark the end of creativity, but I disagree. Having to work within a set of guidelines often teases out ideas and thoughts you'd never think of without those boundaries. It's going to be an adventure.
User

Rogueleeder

Rank

New Republic

04 Dec 2011, 23:33

Nova Scotia Canada

by Rogueleeder » 25 Sep 2013, 19:05

The rules I've seen Darkforce are kind of what I expect in an RP orientated game. You guys have a story, many like the story and so therefore should help contribute to it :D I'm looking forward to RPing on a regular basis again I assure you :)
Chief Adviser to New Republic Command

Retired from combat operations

Side Positions:
Lore Staff
Admin Assistant
Blame RL he wasn't here enough
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

by DarkForce » 25 Sep 2013, 19:33

Good! Just wanted to reassure you that we're committed to quality roleplaying around here!
Previous