Anything regarding the official server.
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

Clearing The Air [Vent Thread]

by DarkForce » 22 Mar 2015, 05:07

I'm going to keep my comments as brief as I can, because I'd like to open the floor up for everyone to speak.

Here is what I know: this community struggles with itself daily. I see and hear about conflicts within this community on a regular basis. I'd be lying if I said I don't understand why it can be frustrating to deal with other people and their problems -- because that's exactly what my job is. In an ideal world, we'd either never fight, or we'd move past our problems with one another after reaching some mutual understanding. But it isn't that easy. I understand that.

What's most important is to get these issues, whatever they may be, vague or specific, and get them out in the open. Clear the air, so to speak. Which is why I'm opening this thread. Talk to each other. Hear out the problems that other people have. Better to understand one another as much as possible than spend an eternity fighting.

Now, before anyone begins, here are some other things I know: There are really cool people in every part of this community. I've spent countless hours talking to members of the NR and the GE, and you know what I've found? A really diverse, interesting set of people with a lot of humor, a lot of passion and dedication. Under different circumstances, I'm pretty certain everyone here would be getting along quite well -- but we've put barriers up. Useless barriers that are preventing friendships and preventing enjoyment of this game that we all like to play. I want it to stop. But most of all I want everyone else to want it to stop too.

So get your grievances out. Lay it on the table and tell everyone what's bugging you.

Two rules for this thread: Be honest. Be civil.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
no avatar
User

Rebel_Storm

17 Sep 2014, 17:40

Either Ohio or Corellia...definately Corellia

Re: Clearing The Air [Vent Thread]

by Rebel_Storm » 22 Mar 2015, 15:27

I'd have to say personally, there is one thing that especially gets to me. Bugs are annoying, but I can cope. Imbalance in player numbers is frustrating, but I can survive. The lack of certain Corellian caps/fighters is sad, but I can make do. the screwed stats are a pain, but I can compensate.

Those things are relatively minor, but what they all combine into, and what especially gets me is just how hard it is to do anything with small numbers.

In Corellian and Republic space, I feel safe. Hutt space is nothing but bots right now, so I can live with that too. But going into enemy territory alone, no matter which faction one's enemies may be, is only signing a death warrant. For me as a New Republic member, Imperial space is taboo, because if I dare go in there alone, I know next thing a TIE Inty or a cap are going to be chasing me to the ends of the universe. I imagine the Imperials may, or may not, feel the same way about solo trips through NR space.

I'd just like to be able to take action sometimes without needing a whole fleet beside me.

But apart from that, there's one other thing I wanna mention:
This isn't really a grievance, but I just wanna say, right now, that frankly, I am REALLY impressed by the whole dev team. Here they are, years into the mod, being swamped by ever-present bugs, working full-time jobs, many in their community either hate them or simply complain too much and praise too little, development is slow and tedious, and yet they are still here, still devoted to making Freeworlds everything it can be. I'm pretty sure I speak for a lot of people when I say

Thank you for all you've done. I know I've done my share of complaining and I know everyone I talk to is annoyed with how often Corellian ships pop into the conversation (oops, there I go again...). But in the end, DEV TEAM, YOU ROCK!
FLT, R. Duine Image Wolf-02 (B-wing)
ImageImageImage

Bountyhunter available 2 highest bidder. P/M me 4 contract.
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

by Kalis » 22 Mar 2015, 18:10

Well, I'm still faction lead for a few more hours so I'll just speak for the Imperials on this one and put in a final word about Friday and the Imperial reaction.

For the past few months the Empire was running multiple programs and was under a few informal orders whose point was essentially to help the NR and provide them with fair fights instead of one-sided roflstompings. Among these were the orders to not deploy more than the rebel force online could handle, slacking off attacks on their space, and a general advisory to not use ISDs unless either 2 MC80s were online or a MC90 was present. On top of that, a training program was implemented to help the rebels better coordinate their forces as well as to tutor them with our best pilots.

I understand that the majority of the NR did not know that we were basically operating on easy mode. However, I do not understand why they wouldn't think that when we rarely log ISDs, sent a lone Carrack against a MC30 when we had an ISD and a Strike available, and stopped all attacks on their space.

So when the NR sent no less than their entire fleet to kill a lone ISD in what essentially a worse roflstomping than what the Empire ever did it became quite clear that they had no intention of having a fair fight unless it was the Empire that was conceding their advantages. So, to the Imperials, we tried helping the NR and got a slap in the face.

I've been told numerous times, "Well what did you expect?" I personally expected some courtesy, a lot of Imperials expected what happened to happen but it didn't make it any better when it did. It just justified calls to stop aiding the NR. It was realized that given the chance the NR would basically become just what they considered the Empire to be. Which is why the Empire is no longer under orders to provide an equivalent fleet, to not use or build more ISDs, and why the training program was cancelled.

It wasn't the loss of the ISD that offended everybody. You guys full well know that we can replace what we lose tenfold, we literally lost an ISD a few days before that and laughed it off because of the circumstances of said loss. It was the way the Leviathan was lost, and the way the loss was treated by the NR afterwards, after everything that was done to help the NR. Whether they knew it or not.

I don't expect anyone who is not in the Empire to understand that, but that is the way things are now.
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

User

Technogeist

18 May 2014, 03:24

The Land of Hope & Glory

by Technogeist » 22 Mar 2015, 18:28

The above is accurate to the extreme.
no avatar
User

Daelin

11 Jan 2012, 20:42

Germany

by Daelin » 22 Mar 2015, 18:32

I agree with everything except the first two lines.
Fleet Admiral Daelin Proudmoore Image
ImageImage
User

Sep

09 Dec 2014, 14:34

Coruscant

by Sep » 22 Mar 2015, 19:09

Kalis wrote:Well, I'm still faction lead for a few more hours so I'll just speak for the Imperials on this one and put in a final word about Friday and the Imperial reaction.

For the past few months the Empire was running multiple programs and was under a few informal orders whose point was essentially to help the NR and provide them with fair fights instead of one-sided roflstompings. Among these were the orders to not deploy more than the rebel force online could handle, slacking off attacks on their space, and a general advisory to not use ISDs unless either 2 MC80s were online or a MC90 was present. On top of that, a training program was implemented to help the rebels better coordinate their forces as well as to tutor them with our best pilots.

I understand that the majority of the NR did not know that we were basically operating on easy mode. However, I do not understand why they wouldn't think that when we rarely log ISDs, sent a lone Carrack against a MC30 when we had an ISD and a Strike available, and stopped all attacks on their space.

So when the NR sent no less than their entire fleet to kill a lone ISD in what essentially a worse roflstomping than what the Empire ever did it became quite clear that they had no intention of having a fair fight unless it was the Empire that was conceding their advantages. So, to the Imperials, we tried helping the NR and got a slap in the face.

I've been told numerous times, "Well what did you expect?" I personally expected some courtesy, a lot of Imperials expected what happened to happen but it didn't make it any better when it did. It just justified calls to stop aiding the NR. It was realized that given the chance the NR would basically become just what they considered the Empire to be. Which is why the Empire is no longer under orders to provide an equivalent fleet, to not use or build more ISDs, and why the training program was cancelled.

It wasn't the loss of the ISD that offended everybody. You guys full well know that we can replace what we lose tenfold, we literally lost an ISD a few days before that and laughed it off because of the circumstances of said loss. It was the way the Leviathan was lost, and the way the loss was treated by the NR afterwards, after everything that was done to help the NR. Whether they knew it or not.

I don't expect anyone who is not in the Empire to understand that, but that is the way things are now.

1) I appreciate what you've done and your offer at training. I do.

2) This is the main point. All right, I want to go into this. NR has been living on a backpedal for ages, it has. It's nobodies fault specifically but you guys have had structure and all that a lot longer than we have, and when it comes down to the biggest caps you guys have it in the bag with an ISD. Yes you've shown restraint recently, I've not had any ISDs infringing on Coruscant until today and your VSD took two shots of the Oceana and then ceased fire ( I lost her due to a cock up on my own behalf ). However then you go and log an ISD above Fresia, a system we need to go to. We needed to remove it.

We did so with the whole fleet to limit losses, I have seen you guys do the same in the past.

Now what I want to know is how did we treat it afterwards? You guys are acting like we gloated and boasted our victory to your faces. The only comment in the main chat was Frosts about "You" blowing up an ISD. It was an illtimed jab at the loss of the Legion hwoever it was not a boast about the fight. In fact I quickly shut it down, if someone else gloated I didn't hear about it as you guys didn't tell me.

We're a community but we can't solve things unless we know the problems on both sides. I tell you if the NR have a problem with what the GE are doing.

Yes I know you offered to give us training, but you called no cease fire and asked for none. ISD was in our way, we wanted to complete the stockpile. We did what we had to do.

3) Double Standards. This is the most annoying one. You guys moan if we hide behind golans, log off, hyperspace away. Yet as soon as you do it they're "Strategic" manuevers, or "Regrouping" or "Retreating". In the past, we were in a worse position. And hell, I was even telling my guys not to do these things. However if you will do it, so will we. Enough said. Yes we managed to get 5 caps on at one time, I was impressed with the fact we had that many players online to attack the ISD in Fresia but we wouldn't have done it if it wasn't in the way as the NR have as I said, been in this situation for months.

We don't want to do to you what you have done to us.

4) Rubbing it in that you can "Replace it tenfold" probably doesn't need to go here.

5) While we're here. I'm not going to mention names but I am disgusted by the attitude of a certain player/players. This is meant to be a game, it's meant to be fun. None of this should be necessary. But I have heard tale about a certain log from a player who holds a position within the Imperial Faction (and as such the community). Which is a position of power and respect yet has posted a post that down right mocks the New Republic and it's players.

I won't stand for that, and its a shame that for some reason all of the other Imperials feel its funny. I don't mind a jab at someone, but that is a step too far. The New Republic equitted themselves with pride yesterday, they worked together and were on team speak and I was happy with their performance in battle (despite crashes and a bug on our side) while I was being told that "Imperials were getting bored" despite the fact that when agreeing the battle time I was told we'd be lucky to be having a battle at 20GMT.

On that note, while we equitted ourselves well on the battlefield and yes the Imperials did two. There was one big difference, afterwards. The NR congratulated eachother, they patted eachother on the back. Said good game to a couple of the Imperials and then we went to talking to what we could do better, what we were going to do to make ourselves better. Yet the Imperials have sought to wave their superiority once again rather than enjoying the game with us.

^I've thrown some other peoples opinions in there from the NR chats.^

On a note, I too wish to pay my respects to the devs. I've told you this already today but good job guys, keep it up.

Sep - Leader of the 55th Defence Fleet.

"what a special fucking snowflake" - Sizer
ImageImage