Anything regarding the official server.
no avatar
User

Lexx

16 Aug 2012, 16:38

So long and thanks for all the fish

by Lexx » 17 May 2014, 02:51

I really like what all has been done with this mod. The ship models look great and having all the planets and starbases looking like they do really adds to the immersion factor. I like the way the ships can jump to lightspeed anywhere there aren't gravity wells intervening. I see all the hard work that's been put into this mod and you guys have done a great job.

On the one hand I like how you have stuck true to Star Wars "canon" whenever possible, but I feel it's created some glaring balance issues. The other day I was doing a mission from Borealis in my B-Wing. After spening 5+ minutes firing at the Tie interceptors and having less than 1% of my shots actually land on target, I had to ask myself "am I having fun?". The smaller imperial and even the ugly pirate fighters are just too hard to hit in my opinion. I don't consider myself to have lowsy aim, I spent years playing Freelancer mods back in the day. I know where to aim, but even when my shots are dead on, and should be registering hits, they don't connect. I've even cruised up right on the tail of these little ships and fired point blank into them and every shot misses.

I have the same problem in PVP. Not only can the Imperial fighters outmaneuver and outrun me, the few times I do manange to get them in my crosshairs, I usually can't land any hits on them. To add insult to injury these same guys I can't hit are complaining that my B-Wing is too hard to hit! Just because only about 50% of their shots are hitting me, they say my ship is too hard to hit. It's like they think every shot that they fire anywhere near me should take me out, even when I know how to evade. They even went as far as to tell me not to get used to it because the B-Wing is getting "nerfed" and will be made even easier to hit than it already is. Seriously, how much of an advantage do these guys need?

I never had so much trouble landing shots on other fighter class ships in any of the other freelancer mods I have played. Their tiny hit boxes, combined with their erratic and jerky movements makes even doing PVE missions a frustrating and tedious task. I shouldn't have to spend 2+ hours watching every shot I fire miss, waiting for that lucky shot, just to complete a simple mission. Perhaps it's because I am in the US and my ping is generally 125-150.

I love this mod, and perhaps capship vs. capship combat will be more fun. Playing as a NR bomber or fighter pilot is not much fun when you can almost never land any hits. This completely breaks the game for me, and that makes me sad, because I really wanted to enjoy playing here.
User

Sizer

Rank

Developer

08 Sep 2010, 23:56

Oakland, California, USA

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish

by Sizer » 17 May 2014, 02:57

All bomber guns travel slower than fighter weapons - this is to balance the immense damage per volley they have. They are NOT meant to go toe to toe with fighters. You're not going to hit the nimble interceptor class fighters the Imperials tend to use. (However, the Cruise mechanics are being changed, rendering the blitzy in-and-out running they tend to use obsolete.)

The B-Wing hitbox is currently bugged - it has a bad angle that makes it impossible for Freelancer to calculate proper crosshair positioning. When I get around to fixing it, the B-Wing will no longer have specific angles that it is invulnerable to fire from. This is a mechanical issue, not a balance issue.

FW:ToW is very much about using the correct tool for the correct application.
no avatar
User

Starkill

16 Apr 2010, 07:03

by Starkill » 17 May 2014, 14:47

Yeah the issue here seems to be the ship you are using. It is a bomber, designed to blow up freighters to large caps, and NOT fight fighters. Not only does it have the slower bomber guns, the slower bomber turning speeds and handling, but the mix of ions and lasers WILL throw off the aim crosshair due to each type of weapon having different fire speeds and refire rates (Meaning you will get better aim if you turn ions off).

Before giving up on the mod, I would suggest changing ships or at least making a new char with a different ship. If you hate those TIE Interceptors doing all sorts of fast maneuvering and such, then maybe you should get an A-wing. It is the NR's interceptor class fighter and is faster than the TIE Interceptor and will allow you to keep up with the heavier ships as well. Also it doesn't have mismatched lasers and fires somewhat like a burst machine gun of death.

And if you don't like the A-wing due to it's trade of heavy weapons and armor for pure speed, you can try the X-wing or even E-wing, as they are both more heavier armed and armored, though they have slower turn speeds and such.

The way the balance works is through a counters method, basically think of it like Rock-paper-scissors. Paper will never win against scissors, but it always beats rock. You, in this example, are trying to fight scissors with paper.
no avatar
User

Teveoji Var

15 May 2014, 06:29

Texas, USA

by Teveoji Var » 17 May 2014, 15:44

I feel your pain, I really, REALLY want to pilot a bomber, it's one of my favorite Star Wars ships, but because bombers are practically useless right now, I can't. So I'm forced into other Imperial ships. I'm sure that once we get caps, your B-Wing will be much more useful, as will Y-Wings. Until then, we'll be forced to fly the faster ships.
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

by Kalis » 18 May 2014, 16:23

Were you the fighter craft named Dart? If so then this should make you feel a little better:

The reason we registered many hits on you was because as soon as we saw what you were flying we switched targets to your CM dropper (which is on the fattest part of your ship) making you much easier to hit. The default crosshair is bugged in that it is over that thin long fin on your ship.

Second off you were pretty accurate with those things (took me out at least twice), and forced us to rely on missiles (something I personally hate doing) to take you out.

If you weren't Dart, then this still applies. A B-Wing pilot that knows what he/she's doing can really hurt. :lol:
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

User

Teradyn

Rank

Galactic Empire Command

27 Mar 2014, 21:06

The Sovereign Nation of Texas

by Teradyn » 19 May 2014, 17:24

Sizer wrote:However, the Cruise mechanics are being changed, rendering the blitzy in-and-out running they tend to use obsolete.
Hallelujah! So tired of that cruise hopping junk. It really takes away from the fighting. I do wonder what the mechanic to fix this will be though. Some kind of charge up time on it?

User

Sovereign

09 Mar 2010, 00:09

Connecticut, USA

by Sovereign » 19 May 2014, 20:03

I prefer slower and tankier combat too but it's not worth giving up on, things are just getting started here and much is in-flux. Try a different ship for fighter combat, it's very tough to shoot interceptors while in a bomber.
no avatar
User

Lexx

16 Aug 2012, 16:38

by Lexx » 23 May 2014, 20:22

I sold the B-wing and I am trying out the E-wing. I've noticed it's much easier to hit the imperial fighters in missions with it. I haven't tried any PVP in it yet though.

I think I was mainly remembering the demo where the bombers and small patrol craft pretty much dominated the fighters. I expected things to be the same, but it seems they have changed.

I don't like the A-wing at all, because it can only fire a couple of shots before running out of energy. I've never used the imperial fighters, but I am wondering if they have the same problem. If they are going to be as fast and maneuverable as the A-wing, they should have the same energy problem, if they don't already.

Not sure if I am going to stick with the E-wing, get an X-wing, or go back to being a bomber pilot when there are enemy capital ships to shoot at.
no avatar
User

Rogue

15 Feb 2010, 04:29

New Zealand

by Rogue » 24 May 2014, 10:58

Lexx wrote:I sold the B-wing and I am trying out the E-wing. I've noticed it's much easier to hit the imperial fighters in missions with it. I haven't tried any PVP in it yet though.

I think I was mainly remembering the demo where the bombers and small patrol craft pretty much dominated the fighters. I expected things to be the same, but it seems they have changed.

I don't like the A-wing at all, because it can only fire a couple of shots before running out of energy. I've never used the imperial fighters, but I am wondering if they have the same problem. If they are going to be as fast and maneuverable as the A-wing, they should have the same energy problem, if they don't already.

Not sure if I am going to stick with the E-wing, get an X-wing, or go back to being a bomber pilot when there are enemy capital ships to shoot at.

They do. Don't worry about that :P
Cosmic wrote:I know a lot of things and I know people more than anything else. I also know what else Sizer uses the wooden spoon for.
no avatar
User

Loken

07 Apr 2012, 23:30

United Kingdom

by Loken » 25 May 2014, 22:06

They have a worse energy problem even, but higher burst damage.