User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

Re: [1.47] Interdictor Gravity Well Not working

by Kalis » 04 Feb 2015, 21:35

Both interdictors seemed pretty low on health to me. We had an incident in the Cron Drift were a lone Neb B and bomber got a 418 down to a quarter health in no time flat. The CC is also very vulnerable to lone bombers, let alone those running in groups from what I have seen of them in action.

So, personally, I think their health is pretty low already. It might not be necessary to lower their heath further if the above change was made.
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 04 Feb 2015, 22:52

Teradyn wrote:Besides, the argument
DarkForce wrote:
But, given that this is a game, the advantages of using an interdictor can't be too great or you run the risk of it being declared OP.
doesn't begin to hold water given that the interdictor's (assumed previously) in game performance is expected on both sides. I suspected this type of argument being the reason an enemy ship has the chance to jump right on top of the Interdictor when no interpretation of the way these ships operated in canon with their variable direction beams or a single sphere around them as is done in most games fit.

To be fair, OP was probably the wrong term, and my interpretation of the system could be off. And my discussion of canon mechanics was probably unnecessary too, as we simply cannot replicate how interdictors worked in canon as closely as people assumed. I don't think I adequately addressed your concerns, Teradyn. I was merely trying to provide context.

I also don't disagree that the range of drop-in could be an issue. The reason I mentioned cooldowns was because, again in-canon, interdictors were placed strategically to bring ships out of hyperspace ahead of their destination. The Battle of Bilbringi in the Thrawn Trilogy, for instance: he had the interdictors pull the NR fleet out ahead of the shipyards and placed his fleet in front of their objective.

We don't quite have that problem in this game, though. More often than not the fleets are going to want to fight one another, rather than reach some objective target, so the only use for interdictors is really to prevent escape. If they aren't doing that to a reasonable degree then yes, I understand why it's a problem.

However, pulling a ship towards the interdictor is definitely a viable tactic if you have support closeby to pummel that ship. Interdictors just shouldn't operate alone. In this respect it can essentially act as a reverse interceptor.

Frankly I think it'd be helpful if we clear some things up in as plain language as possible:

1. What did you, the players, believe was the specific implementation of the interdictor?
2. What is the current implementation of the interdictor and how does it not meet that original expectation?

Then we can more adequately sort out the issue.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
User

Teradyn

Rank

Galactic Empire Command

27 Mar 2014, 21:06

The Sovereign Nation of Texas

by Teradyn » 04 Feb 2015, 23:55

DarkForce wrote:I also don't disagree that the range of drop-in could be an issue. The reason I mentioned cooldowns was because, again in-canon, interdictors were placed strategically to bring ships out of hyperspace ahead of their destination. The Battle of Bilbringi in the Thrawn Trilogy, for instance: he had the interdictors pull the NR fleet out ahead of the shipyards and placed his fleet in front of their objective.

We don't quite have that problem in this game, though. More often than not the fleets are going to want to fight one another, rather than reach some objective target, so the only use for interdictors is really to prevent escape. If they aren't doing that to a reasonable degree then yes, I understand why it's a problem.

However, pulling a ship towards the interdictor is definitely a viable tactic if you have support closeby to pummel that ship. Interdictors just shouldn't operate alone. In this respect it can essentially act as a reverse interceptor.

I think the current player (at least the ones I have talked to) expectations as it regards Interdictors is largely based on the descriptions given in that very battle. As for our current in-game usage for them, holding an enemy fleet is the primary usage right now but that ignores the stated direction of the game. The system capture mechanic is disabled right now, but if not, it would represent a perfect example of the type of engagement where preventing ships from getting to their objective would be necessary. A group of ships holding over Borleias for example would be helped tremendously by having enemy ships unable to jump in, to support an effort to extract them from their blockade. Trade embargos like the one we performed in Muunilinst could be enacted at other ports for resources with a mobile interdictor field. That last example would be possible now, if the Interdiction effect was closer to canon.

And I don't believe anyone is assuming that an Interdictor could operate alone, but it is most effective in a standoff role out of the direct line of fire, as even the "Heavy Interdictor" of the Empire is a large paper-triangle currently.

no avatar
User

Daelin

11 Jan 2012, 20:42

Germany

by Daelin » 05 Feb 2015, 00:29

To be more precise in the direct expectations, and I think I'm speaking for Teradyns expectation too:

We thought the 80% to 65% of the radius would be the distance at which the enemy ship would be guaranteed to be dropped out of Hyperspace and pulled into normal space. Meaning the closest an enemy ship could get would be 65% of 80 km, so about 52 km from the Interdictor. That would leave the enemy with the task to travel either 52 km to kill the Interdictor (or about 40km, depending on the enemy ships range) or to travel 28 km to the edge of the interdiction field to escape.

Now currently (current implementation), the enemy drops somewhere between 70 km and 0 km to the Interdictor.
Meaning that, if we deploy the Intercitor ahead of the enemy fleet, we could end up with an MC 90 sitting next to the Interdictor, after being pulled from Hyperspace, blowing it to pieces within a mere minute or even faster and be ready to jump out again.
In that short time there is no chance to redeploy the Interdictor effectively or to defend it.
Fleet Admiral Daelin Proudmoore Image
ImageImage
User

Axxif

Rank

Galactic Empire

30 Dec 2011, 13:28

Poorly-lit corner

by Axxif » 05 Feb 2015, 02:09

Just my 2¢ of the day:

Why doesn't the interdictor "kill off" any open hyperspace holes the second it turns on? This would get rid of the ability to plot an early jump right before the grav well turns on, thus increasing the effectiveness of such craft, even if just marginally
Nicholas Pitt
Skillful Imperial Line Officer and Army Tactician
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 05 Feb 2015, 20:03

Axxif wrote:Just my 2¢ of the day:

Why doesn't the interdictor "kill off" any open hyperspace holes the second it turns on? This would get rid of the ability to plot an early jump right before the grav well turns on, thus increasing the effectiveness of such craft, even if just marginally

Because programming is difficult and adding that feature is complicated. The same can be said of most features and changes mentioned here.

Interdictors are currently low priority (just like carriers), so I wouldn't expect any change for the foreseeable future. Any such change introduces the possibility of more bugs, and I hope we can all agree we already have enough of those to deal with as it is.
no avatar
User

Daelin

11 Jan 2012, 20:42

Germany

by Daelin » 05 Feb 2015, 20:11

Sizer wrote:The Well drop range is Max Range -Random%

Could this be changed to:
Max Range - (Random% =< 35%)

So that the closest a target could be pulled out of Hyperspace would be 65% of the range?
Fleet Admiral Daelin Proudmoore Image
ImageImage
User

Teradyn

Rank

Galactic Empire Command

27 Mar 2014, 21:06

The Sovereign Nation of Texas

by Teradyn » 05 Feb 2015, 23:33

FriendlyFire wrote:
Axxif wrote:Just my 2¢ of the day:

Because programming is difficult and adding that feature is complicated. The same can be said of most features and changes mentioned here.

Interdictors are currently low priority (just like carriers), so I wouldn't expect any change for the foreseeable future. Any such change introduces the possibility of more bugs, and I hope we can all agree we already have enough of those to deal with as it is.

Is modifying the minimum range as difficult as what Axxif mentioned?

User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 06 Feb 2015, 00:18

No, but it's too much work in the current circumstances. Other things take priority.
Previous