Anything regarding the official server.
no avatar
User

Rogue

15 Feb 2010, 04:29

New Zealand

Concerns with Force User Appointment

by Rogue » 26 Aug 2014, 23:09

Good Morning all. I'd like to take up a couple minutes of your time and talk about the recent news which no doubt got quite a few up-and-giddy with excitement. The Force User Factions. Great news! They're in. *However*.

I'll go straight into my points as I'm not one to beat around the bush.
  1. Server Activity
  2. Who you Appointed

1. Server Activity
I'm not a fan of hypocrisy, so this strikes me as odd. With one of my recent and last discussions with the Dev team, I inquired as to the state of the FU Factions and what it would take for them to come around into fruit. I made it known that I was interested in being part of one, hence my question.

I was told that they were "to be put on hold until server activity lifts up across all four factions". Now this is a very fair point - Force Users are considerably strong and even if there were 1 or 2 on each side, they could turn the tables of any conflict. Solid reasoning and one that I wasn't going to argue with. It has been known since the mod went into beta that activity hasn't been everyone's forefront. And it's plainly obvious, just like how the sky is blue, that we are not anywhere near this target.

So, Why the change? Why the contradiction? Why are you going to split the factions up even more?

2. Who you Appointed
This may come off as personal, but it is merely the concerns and care that I have for the factions as a whole.
I was always under the impression that the Force User factions were going to be led by admins. I however assumed that they were going to be led by someone who was RPing quite frequently or participating in common RP at the least. The admin that has been appointed, has not had any dabble in server RP, not commented on any of the OOC threads or even spoken about this.

Next, to directly contradict themselves once more, they appoint a new player as the leader of the Sith Faction. Now get this - he's posted once, hasn't posted a character profile (neither has the admin for that matter of fact), hasn't made any attempt to join in current Roleplay or commented on it in the OOC threads. When questioned on this, the response from the admins was that he didn't want to play in the NR or GE.

Well, join the club. There's a WHOLE BUNCH (Disclaimer: I am not talking about me specifically here) of us here that wanted to join the Force Users, but we decided to go forward, contribute to the community and help through getting the factions set up and not only that but contribute via RP, hoping that you, the admins and devs would see our efforts and actually reward some of us for that. The way that said person was appointed was an absolute slap in the face with a 400lbs tuna, coated in gasoline and then as if to add spite, shooting fireworks at us - watching and laughing hysterically as we catch on fire.

You could have even posted a poll up in the Factions & Roleplay subforum and asked who would have been interested in this! Then you would have had a decent idea from who was active and a good RPer to set up the other faction with. Atleast then, if you were still going to go ahead with bringing the Force User Factions up, you would have some credibility in involving the people that wanted to run the FU factions.

Treatment of your player-base with those actions is going to demotivate, demoralize and turn people away forever. There is no question about that, especially with how people are currently upset about another issue.

I am not a person for activity, this I am well aware of. I however do know when a ship is running a course for dry-land. The ToW ship is close to the shore. I am urging you to reconsider your actions with the FU factions before you run the high probability of killing this mod forever.
Cosmic wrote:I know a lot of things and I know people more than anything else. I also know what else Sizer uses the wooden spoon for.
User

Sizer

Rank

Developer

08 Sep 2010, 23:56

Oakland, California, USA

Re: Concerns with Force User Appointment

by Sizer » 26 Aug 2014, 23:26

I'll be totally transparent in my usual blunt manner - Myst and DF wanted a few FUs for on server events, and I waved my hand and it was so. So I know very little in the way of why who was chosen for what and when. I just looked at the names to see if it was anyone I outright objected too and said LET IT BE SO!"

This wave of FUs have no special powers or bonuses or anything whatsoever, they're just a plot device tool for the Lore Team to use in some upcoming planned events, at least, that's how I understand it. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused.
User

Sovereign

09 Mar 2010, 00:09

Connecticut, USA

by Sovereign » 27 Aug 2014, 00:50

I don't know if there is something special behind the scenes but it does seem unusual to appoint someone who hasn't done any RP or posting with the community at all, even a profile.
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 27 Aug 2014, 07:10

I'll try to cover as much as I can right now, but I'll be as brief as possible because it is late for me and I have a tendency to over-explain.

Firstly - Everything Force-User related right now is extremely preliminary, and any leadership roles are temporary/subject to change, depending on how we move forward. Announcing that we're trying to get them off the ground may have been premature and I do apologize if I've upset anyone with my decisions. Like most situations in my life I tend to scream at myself in a mirror, throw myself down a flight of stairs and eat three Grand Slams at Denny's before making any sort of outline for my thoughts.

Right! My reasoning:

Just as I appointed Rogueleeder and Loki as Lore Moderators (who were the only two that applied, though I left that window open for a week or more), I needed two people I could trust to help me develop the Force-User factions, which still need fleshing out. Both the people in question have a long, detailed roleplaying history in the FWs community, going back years.

I have limited time to work on things during the week, and the FU leader roles are ones that, should I inform them of an upcoming event I'd like an accompanying RP thread to go with, could write it up without my intervention. So yes, while it's a leadership role, it's also an RP-heavy one, and involves far less pew-pew laser-fire jingle-jangle and most likely a lot more click-clack, punctuation, existentialism.

Given that our community is still fairly small and two of our four main factions are at best, not very active, and at worst practically nonexistent, I didn't think it would be fair to the active factions to start grabbing players away. My main goal in appointing anyone to these factions was, should I plan an event, I have two people who can add another dimension to the plot.

So, to boil it down: I chose who I chose based on past related experience and the convenience of not having to pull anyone away from the current factions in order to have another tool in my storytelling toolbox. Maybe that was wrong of me.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the devs always envisioned the FU factions to be RP-heavy, specifically written forum-style RP. Given the relative lack of RP output from all factions (what has been done has been fantastic by the way so this is in no way meant as a dig, I would just love to see more of it), choosing from among the current population would have been a difficult prospect. Both Myst and Jinius have experience writing Jedi and Sith RP specifically, it seemed like a natural choice.

Let's also not forget that the original faction player leaders were chosen only weeks after we released beta and were based on similarly limited criteria.

Also to be quite clear: If you want something - like for me to organize an event, to tell you what I have planned for Force-Users or other factions, how to get more involved with RP, to tell me that I'm a piece of shit, etc. ASK ME PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I AM AN OPEN BOOK AND CRAVE HUMAN INTERACTION AND I WILL TELL YOU EVERYTHING I SWEAR IT BY THE OLD GODS AND THE NEW!

Having written all that, over-explained despite myself and fallen into a deep depression, I bid you adieu!
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
User

Technogeist

18 May 2014, 03:24

The Land of Hope & Glory

by Technogeist » 27 Aug 2014, 15:13

User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

by DarkForce » 27 Aug 2014, 16:39

Technogeist wrote:Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.

QFT
no avatar
User

Rogue

15 Feb 2010, 04:29

New Zealand

by Rogue » 27 Aug 2014, 21:32

That seems pretty much it, Hah. Thank you for the replies, Sizer and Darkforce. It's alot more clearer now. My own jimmies were not rustled (no time for them really, currently muahahaha) just felt it was odd.

It's nice to bring up points and not have a flame war every now and then though :P

EDIT:
Question with them. Seeing as they're 'plot devices' for events and such, how are they going to be managed with current factions? IE: For the time being, can current faction members apply for FU Factions if it's currently (And I'm assuming currently = Beta period) just for Forum/Paper RP and events?

Or is it being handled like other, current factions - One faction for 1 user?
Cosmic wrote:I know a lot of things and I know people more than anything else. I also know what else Sizer uses the wooden spoon for.
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

by DarkForce » 27 Aug 2014, 22:14

Rogue wrote:EDIT:
Question with them. Seeing as they're 'plot devices' for events and such, how are they going to be managed with current factions? IE: For the time being, can current faction members apply for FU Factions if it's currently (And I'm assuming currently = Beta period) just for Forum/Paper RP and events?

Or is it being handled like other, current factions - One faction for 1 user?

TBH we haven't even gotten that far yet. As soon as I've had a chance to think about it and discuss I will let the world know! :)