Where we post about what and how much time we've spent with the mod related development

Qi's log

Moderator: Developers

User

Sushi

Rank

Developer

14 Feb 2010, 05:05

Re: Qi's log

by Sushi » 18 May 2012, 11:37

Awesome, thanks Qi. I have a question, though, is there any way to get the forums to be be centered again and move the donation box over? Just a personal preference thing. If that can't be done, no worries.

I really like this new donation box :) Keeps everything transparent.
no avatar
User

Qi

14 Feb 2010, 14:38

The Netherlands. Timezone: Central Europe.

by Qi » 18 May 2012, 11:46

Keeping the forum block centered was the first thing I tried. Due to a bug (there is an </div> tag missing somewhere) I could not get it to work. I will have another look now that it doesn't hold up the development :)

User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 18 May 2012, 16:55

If you want, Qi, I could always take a look at the code. I know a few things about HTML/CSS/PHP ;)

Also, if you told me where you're taking the data from, I could see if there's a way to add the real system name (as opposed to the nickname) to the data.
no avatar
User

Qi

by Qi » 20 May 2012, 12:59

Made forum top images fading.
Added 10 more pictures. These are all from the demo picture thread.

no avatar
User

Qi

by Qi » 20 May 2012, 16:18

I've tried for hours to hack the Twitter generated code to have Twitter pop up inside the accordion.

Now it is below it. Perhaps it is an idea to have Twitter on the left hand side of the forum block?

Anyhow. All just to get back my old swing.

no avatar
User

Qi

by Qi » 21 May 2012, 20:29

Added teamspeak viewer to harmonica (the slide menu at the right)

no avatar
User

Qi

by Qi » 12 Aug 2012, 20:00

This weekend I have worked on the capitol ship creation screens. See todo list.

User

Sushi

Rank

Developer

by Sushi » 14 Aug 2012, 14:11

YAY! :D
no avatar
User

Qi

by Qi » 12 Oct 2012, 09:52

I finally found a way to break through.

Oldsta took over server ownership from Snake for the Freeworlds community. He had set up a VM. He needed the FW Control Panel for banking / TE timer and automemberlists. I tried to install the old one but we could not make it work within the regime of firewalls in his company.

I found a solution in that the fw:tow web interface circumvents the port problem and serves as a proxy for FLHook socket which makes it all very safe too.

I made a simplified web interface (none of our nice economy), strictly for banking, automemberlist and te timer. Security runs over php curl to the forum server. That works now see http://145.255.244.57:81

I did not make automemberlist and event timer for fw:tow yet so working on that is pure progress for our mod. Also, I ran into several bugs in banking that have been resolved, for our system as well.

Then we got a couple of game server down periods, which also had the windows os hanging. That VM or that version of the mod isn't very stable. The problem is, that Oldsta didn't know about the blackouts. He had no alarming on his email and mobile. Suddenfrost offered a Nagios service through his work place. So I worked with him on that. We would also want to monitor a pure FLServer crash but Nagios cannot deal as a UDP port monitor. So I made an endpoint on our web interface that checks that the FLServer is alive through FLHook socket. All very safe.

Yes they use Ioncross and yes I already asked them to switch to Cannon's DS Process Manager and DS Account Manager.

I sent an email to Suddenfrost, who controls a Nagios service on his work place and he offered host checks to our game servers

Hi Suddenfrost

I have installed a service endpoint on each of the Freeworlds servers. I hope it is useful to scan with your Nagios service.

For Oldsta's server:

http://145.255.244.57:81/service.php?gameserverstatus
This will report
game server is UP
or
game server is DOWN

The service opens a socket on the game server connecting to FLServer's FLHook. It merely logs in and checks for a OK\r\n return.
The port of the socket is behind the firewall so it is all very safe.

For the FW:TOW server
http://fwtow.net/service.php?gameserverstatus

If you want a different output (other text, or html / xml / json whatever) I can change it. I can also set up a "real" service with a wsdl output. But I thought: keep it simple stupid.

Good luck!
-Qi

I installed aNag on my Android which will give an alarm if the FW:TOW server runs into trouble. Sadly uNagi for Android didn't work as I rofl about that name (Ross in Friends explained all about uNagi..)

User

Sushi

Rank

Developer

by Sushi » 13 Oct 2012, 11:59

Sounds promising, Qi. Glad to see you back in modding action :)
PreviousNext