Where we post about what and how much time we've spent with the mod related development
no avatar
User

Cheeseontoast

01 Nov 2010, 01:18

Re: CoT's Workshop / Drugs Lab

by Cheeseontoast » 30 Apr 2011, 06:42

Done a hour or so on looking into the hotspots, going to get to grips with the hudshift and see if overlapping the common buttons works like we hope (or rather FF hopes XD) Other than that, cleaned about 30% of the converted files.... I believe... Could be higher but im not sure.. I'm no mathematician :mrgreen:

~Time: 2 hours
Wheres my taco?
no avatar
User

Cheeseontoast

01 Nov 2010, 01:18

by Cheeseontoast » 26 Jul 2011, 07:01

Sooo... After a long absence... Heres some stuff I done recently =]

Started looking into how much we can do with the hud. Firstly, moving stuff. Thanks to the hudshift addon Adoxa has done this was pretty much.. simple. Somethings arent all that clear in the files, and its unclear how everything relates, I do not know if the meshes have a Parent -> Child relationship or if they are indeed seperate. Further testing required ;). Next, I looked into editing the "hotspots" for the HUD, this is basically the area of which, the button becomes active, it begins to glow. We would like to have these customizable, I tried editing the size of the button used, in which, I spent a few hours going WTF and pulling my hair out.

Here's what I mean.

This is the texture used in the game for displaying the cruise button:

Now, this texture is defined in buttonmontage.ini as this line:
Code: Select all
interface\HUD\HUD_mnvrwarp.3db = E:\\lancer\\project\\art\\interface\hud\tex\warp.tga, 0.023200

and is located in buttontextures.txm which looks like this:

Now, This is of some importance as this doesnt even reference a mesh of any description. Only place it can is in the exe or one of the dll's. Now, In the HUD folder theres a file called hud_mnvrwarp.3db. This contains an identical texture as the one found in buttontextures.txm... With a slight difference being, it's just the cruise button texture, and nothing else.

hud_mnvrwarp.3db also contains a mesh, a square, which strangely references 8 verts... lol.

In anycase, Freelancer doesnt even read this file because of the montage.ini code. to get it to read this file (not tested with other files) You can comment out this line and it will read the texture from the hud_mnvrwarp.3db file.

So at this point, im thinking. SCORE. I got it reading a customizable mesh. So, now I'm hoping that the hotspot is tied to the mesh used, so I get the 3db in milkshape and make it 3x larger and stick it ingame. To my dissapointment, it doesnt change anything other than the size of the button. The hotspot remains the same size, so I have to start looking elsewhere for how its defined. I'm wondering if its reading the bounding box data for the mesh or something else in the mesh data.

On the plus side, I atleast know we can get different sized buttons now =] lol.

More to follow!
Wheres my taco?
User

Sushi

Rank

Developer

14 Feb 2010, 05:05

by Sushi » 26 Jul 2011, 19:30

awesome stuff, cheese!
Previous