X-wing Miniatures Game

no avatar
User

Teveoji Var

15 May 2014, 06:29

Texas, USA

X-wing Miniatures Game

by Teveoji Var » 16 May 2014, 05:23

Does anyone else play this amazing game by Fantasy Flight? I picked it up this past Christmas, and I absolutely love it. I've been playing it over Vassal with my brother since he lives in another state, was curious if anyone else wanted to maybe play in between ToW stuff ;)

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module ... tures_Game

^ for the module. If you've not used Vassal, you can find stuff on their site at vassalengine.org. Fantasy Flight is ok with their games being used in vassal, but you can't have card text. It's assumed that you've got the cards at home, so you can just look it up. However, I hate having to pull down my boxes and sort through everything, so there's this nifty site (found here:http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Wiki) that has card text for every card, and stats for every pilot. I own mostly Rebel ships, but I'm more than happy to play as Imperials against people. I just haven't broken down and bought the Tie Aces pack yet. But I managed to get the Mil Falcoln, A-Wing, and Y-wing expansions, so I'm more used to playing rebels. Online, I'm always playing Imp though against my brother ;)

If you've not ever played the game, I'd be more than happy to show you how to play, but we'd have to play using Teamspeak. Typing out rules is pointless because you can just read them online. The rules for the game is on Fantasy Flight's website. Let me know if anyone wants to play! I'm able to get through a game in about 45 minutes if I know what force I want to play...
User

Sparta

16 Nov 2010, 00:09

cruising around in my T-65B

Re: X-wing Miniatures Game

by Sparta » 17 May 2014, 03:58

I haven't played this particular game- outside of a 'demo' box that my LGS keeps in the shop so people can explore new games to play. Though I do play Star Trek Attack Wing, which seems by and large similar to the XWMG.

I might be willing to play online with you, though I would have to drum up a squadron is all. I will look up the rules later online. :)
"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?"

Flight Officer Sachairi Whelan

Any feedback on roleplay, or whatever may be directed to my PM box, thanks. :)
Now running a quaint little blog here.
no avatar
User

Teveoji Var

15 May 2014, 06:29

Texas, USA

Re: X-wing Miniatures Game

by Teveoji Var » 17 May 2014, 05:39

It's the exact same system as I understand, but the rules are probably different, because this game is about fighters where as the Star Trek one is with capital type ships. Turning and shooting are maybe a little different, but the core of the game is there.

There are online squadron builders. The one below is one that my brother first used when I played with him, that I built for him. The idea is to use the A-wing to harass the enemy, while your Y-wing and X-wing support each other. They've got the proton torpedos, so they're the big hitters, and a proton can take out an enemy in 1 hit assuming you roll decently. You could always rearrange it and change the Y-wing to use the Ion turret, and it's real nice and all with ion being really OP in this game, but I always feel like taking a ship out is better than disabling it. Personal preference ;)

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebe ... ,1,5:-1:-1:

If you'd like, I can also post up an Imperial build, if you'd like to look at the setup I usually play with. I use 5 fighters, but none of them are really upgraded well. The only named character I use is Maarek Stele from the TIE Advanced. He's... really nice against Y-wings ;)

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Gala ... ;10::-1:-1:

I went ahead and posted my basic build. 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Interceptors, and 2 regular TIE Fighters. They've got almost no special abilities to speak of, except for Maarek. The idea is to overpower by numbers and speed. The only ship that can really keep up with the Interceptors is the A-Wing, and most people don't take more than 1 of those. So I do my best to get behind you fast, hang a U and stay behind you the whole time. Doesn't ALWAYS work, but I win about half the games I play against people with this build. I think they try too hard to take out the TIE Advanced, when really I'm whittling down their shields with my attacks from the Fighters and Interceptors.

If you want to play, just let me know. I'm free pretty much any time for the next 3 weeks. After that, I'm available most weekends.