Talk about anything Star Wars here!
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

Re: Star Wars Legends and Star Wars: A New Dawn

by DarkForce » 18 Jul 2014, 04:04

Well, to be fair, instances of women in Imperial service in the EU books and comics are rare. In those instances, there are strong hints and even some direct mentions that the reason said women are in positions of power is due to some personal relationship with a highly placed officer (i.e. Tarkin for Daala, Isard's father for her position at Imperial Intelligence, etc.).

So even in the EU, women end up in Imperial service because they somehow finagled their way into it, not because the Empire was really open to it. Which means the movie depiction of a male human dominated Imperial military holds up pretty well throughout.

At least, that's how I've come to see it.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
User

Sizer

Rank

Developer

08 Sep 2010, 23:56

Oakland, California, USA

by Sizer » 18 Jul 2014, 05:49

Teradyn. your Texas is showing.
User

Teradyn

Rank

Galactic Empire Command

27 Mar 2014, 21:06

The Sovereign Nation of Texas

by Teradyn » 18 Jul 2014, 15:58

DarkForce wrote:Well, to be fair, instances of women in Imperial service in the EU books and comics are rare. In those instances, there are strong hints and even some direct mentions that the reason said women are in positions of power is due to some personal relationship with a highly placed officer (i.e. Tarkin for Daala, Isard's father for her position at Imperial Intelligence, etc.).

So even in the EU, women end up in Imperial service because they somehow finagled their way into it, not because the Empire was really open to it. Which means the movie depiction of a male human dominated Imperial military holds up pretty well throughout.

At least, that's how I've come to see it.
Eh, that is exactly what I was getting at. The movies are the original basis for that, not the EU.

User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 18 Jul 2014, 17:31

Probably should have been more specific that I was riffing on Kablob's point.

But TBH I think the movie depiction of a male dominated Empire stems more from the fact that in the late 70s it was uncommon at best to see women in positions of power, let alone the military. I doubt that in 1977 George Lucas excluded women from the Empire just to make them seem more evil (unless he's stated the opposite somewhere).

More to the point though, I think what you see in today's Star Wars vs. yesterday's boils down to the writers appealing to today's audience. So of course we're going to see a lot more prominent women in this medium. Nothing wrong with that at all.

No matter what way the new Star Wars goes I think the times and values it represents are going to be an awful lot different from what began in '77.

But it's that way with everything. We went from the golden age of Star Trek in the 90s with humanity living in the future in near-utopia facing mostly external threats from cultures with different values (though it did get grittier as it went along [DS9]) to post 9/11 shows like Battlestar Galactica where humans are essentially the root of all evil and nothing but utter destruction was able to cure the ills of society (if only for a time).

Ultimate point being, media changes with the times. Classic Star Wars is over, we now have Lens Flare Star Wars. God save us all.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
Previous