Talk about anything Star Wars here!
User

Sparta

16 Nov 2010, 00:09

cruising around in my T-65B

Star Wars Legends and Star Wars: A New Dawn

by Sparta » 26 Apr 2014, 04:15

Turns out the old continuity is not being completely killed out by Disney (even if it is being designated non-canon)

"Demand for past tales of the Expanded Universe will keep them in print, presented under the new Legends banner."
ie,

Click this here link for the article.

They also announced the next couple of brand-spankin-new books in the "New" continuity.

Star Wars: A New Dawn

(wonders why there is no spoiler tag on the TOW forums :( silly big images :roll: )
"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?"

Flight Officer Sachairi Whelan

Any feedback on roleplay, or whatever may be directed to my PM box, thanks. :)
Now running a quaint little blog here.
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

Re: Star Wars Legends and Star Wars: A New Dawn

by DarkForce » 26 Apr 2014, 04:37

Well, we always knew Freeworlds: Tides of War would be splitting from canon at some point. Now it's just split completely.

WE WILL ROLEPLAY IN DEFIANCE OF THE CANON!
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
User

Sparta

by Sparta » 26 Apr 2014, 04:42

DarkForce wrote:Well, we always knew Freeworlds: Tides of War would be splitting from canon at some point. Now it's just split completely.

WE WILL ROLEPLAY IN DEFIANCE OF THE CANON!

no avatar
User

Kablob

04 Sep 2010, 02:56

by Kablob » 26 Apr 2014, 05:03

There's also going to be a book called Tarkin written by James Luceno. Excellent...
User

Sizer

Rank

Developer

08 Sep 2010, 23:56

Oakland, California, USA

by Sizer » 26 Apr 2014, 05:31

This also means I have free reign to do whatever the hell I want with out timeline

*looks murderously at the prequels*
User

Sparta

by Sparta » 26 Apr 2014, 06:32

That is the first thing that came to mind at that post Sizer...

no avatar
User

Kablob

by Kablob » 26 Apr 2014, 14:52

Considering where we are in the timeline i'd be more worried about the Emperor Clones.
no avatar
User

Kablob

by Kablob » 17 Jul 2014, 04:03

So they just released a sample chapter for each of the new books, and I have to say that they all look great. My thoughts (with spoilers):

A New Dawn: Right off the bat, we have a Female Imperial Star Destroyer Captain! Take that stupid EU Empire sexism! Seriously, that never made any sense to me. The anti-alien racism makes perfect sense in-universe (and is still around), but the sexism just came off as a cheap way to make them look more evil. It was just plain dumb, and its only purpose seemed to be to give us Daala, who is the worst Imperial villain ever. Glad that's gone! We also get an interesting Imperial antagonist, and a bit of Hera Syndulla. No Kanan in the sample. There were a bunch of small EU references that made me happy.

Tarkin: It's James Luceno writing a book about Tarkin like Darth Plagueis. What's not to love? The sample has Tarkin defending a base against an attack by an unkown enemy that uses old Seperatist equipment by using tactics! Doesn't go overboard on making the Imperials look eeeeeeeeviiiiiiil, though I'm sure Tarkin's amorality will become apparent later. Again, lots of small EU references that made me happy. And I actually laughed out loud at a line that described Tarkin's boots as being "ill-fitting", because it's so meta. (The boots that were part of Tarkin's costume in ANH were too small for Peter Cushing, so he actually filmed the entire movie in bedroom slippers. There aren't any shots of Tarkin's feet in the movie. :D)

Heir to the Jedi: Looks pretty good. The sample doesn't really have that much happening in it, Luke talks to this Rebel chick whose ship he's borrowing for a mission to "secure secret supply lines", as Ackbar refers to it, because Ackbar's hatred of smuggling that was introduced in The Thrawn Trilogy is still part of his character. Again with the small EU references, and also a Clone Wars reference as the chapter takes place in the Plutonia system, with Orto Plutonia getting name-dropped as a place the Rebels are training troops on.

Lords of the Sith: Holy crap, I'm suddenly super excited about this one. We get an internal monologue from Vader that just might be my favorite characterization of Darth ever, even more so than my favorite book from the old EU, Dark Lord. Forget the Vader wallowing in self-pity, this is the proper badass Sith Lord Darth Vader. It's closer in setting to ROTS than ANH, because the Empire is still using V-Wings and Darth is in an Eta-2. Vader boards a stolen Imperial transport by setting his fighter on a collision course, ejecting into space, EVA-ing through the gaping hole his fighter made, and then he chokes the shit out of a random Twi'lek Rebel. Now THAT is the Darth Vader I want to see! There's also an appearance by a character from The Clone Wars who is on the Rebel side. More of the small EU references.

All together, I'm very optimistic now. :)
User

Technogeist

18 May 2014, 03:24

The Land of Hope & Glory

by Technogeist » 17 Jul 2014, 10:37

Are these samples online? Can't find them. Need!

Edit: Looks like they didn't get publishing rights in the UK. Devastating.
User

Teradyn

Rank

Galactic Empire Command

27 Mar 2014, 21:06

The Sovereign Nation of Texas

by Teradyn » 17 Jul 2014, 16:04

Kablob wrote:Right off the bat, we have a Female Imperial Star Destroyer Captain! Take that stupid EU Empire sexism! Seriously, that never made any sense to me. The anti-alien racism makes perfect sense in-universe (and is still around), but the sexism just came off as a cheap way to make them look more evil. It was just plain dumb, and its only purpose seemed to be to give us Daala, who is the worst Imperial villain ever. Glad that's gone! We also get an interesting Imperial antagonist, and a bit of Hera Syndulla. No Kanan in the sample. There were a bunch of small EU references that made me happy.
This doesn't make any sense at all. There was Mara Jade who was the Emperor's hand. There was Ysanne Isard who was the head of Imperial Intelligence for Palpatine as well. The prime evidence of sexism in the Empire is based on the movies which have always been and are still (post Disney acquisition) top canon. The EU is rife with influences from the 90 feminist movement (or more accurately termed, the proliferation of misandry - sad fact, chrome spellchecker doesn't even recognize that word). So to claim that the Imperial sexist bent oriented in the EU is misinformed at best.

Next