Talk about anything Star Wars here!
no avatar
User

Qi

14 Feb 2010, 14:38

The Netherlands. Timezone: Central Europe.

Disney takes a chainsaw to the Star Wars expanded universe

by Qi » 12 Jan 2014, 20:32

no avatar
User

Reinhardt64

05 Jan 2014, 01:38

Re: Disney takes a chainsaw to the Star Wars expanded univer

by Reinhardt64 » 13 Jan 2014, 01:53

I don't even know what to say to this that doesn't involve excessive cursing besides the fact that I'm not impressed.
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 13 Jan 2014, 02:54

I'll be the first to admit that there are parts of the EU that I don't particularly like, but I hope they aren't going to be excessive.

There are a ton of great story lines post RotJ: Thrawn campaign, the X-Wing books, and many others. Hopefully they'll find ways to fit the most popular and iconic EU stories into the new canon. If not, then it'll just be the Star Wars Alternate Universe instead, which for the purposes of the mod is essentially what we'll be anyway.

I suppose if Disney does a good job managing Star Wars as an intellectual property like they (mostly) have with Marvel, it may not be such a bad thing.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
no avatar
User

Qi

14 Feb 2010, 14:38

The Netherlands. Timezone: Central Europe.

by Qi » 13 Jan 2014, 09:16

They need to be able to re-launch the franchise in a direction that they control, and that requires the freedom to let Empire Strikes Back writer Lawrence Kasdan pen the script without worrying about stumbling over years' worth of baggage. In fact, Kasdan's unfamiliarity with the EU is a strength here—and one that Disney is capitalizing on by drastically reducing the number of things he has to worry about.

It seems pretty much none of the extended universe will going to be used, for the sake of franchise. By that I think they mean that it must be certain nobody can claim a share of the franchise revenue because something was made (like an action figure) that first existed in the extended universe.

User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 13 Jan 2014, 19:21

Many other franchises have (multiple) alternate universes (some with in-universe explanations, some without) and work out just fine.

If freeing themselves from most/all of the EU means they make better movies, then go for it. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here.
no avatar
User

Reinhardt64

05 Jan 2014, 01:38

by Reinhardt64 » 14 Jan 2014, 07:09

I can't really argue with that logic. I mean, Episodes IV-VI didn't have years and years of fan-made back stories to draw from either and they turned out great. So perhaps this is for the best. I guess I just didn't like the way the blog was writing about it.
no avatar
User

Zayne Carrick

12 Apr 2014, 08:22

by Zayne Carrick » 15 Apr 2014, 18:27

I blame Disney for taking license from Dark Horse.
no avatar
User

Kablob

04 Sep 2010, 02:56

by Kablob » 15 Apr 2014, 19:45

Zayne Carrick wrote:I blame Disney for taking license from Dark Horse.

Considering that they own Marvel, it would have been stupid of them not to. I'm lookig forward to what Marvel does with it. It's kind of funny because Marvel had the license in the 80's.
User

Sparta

16 Nov 2010, 00:09

cruising around in my T-65B

by Sparta » 16 Apr 2014, 19:34

On the subject of the DH license...

well, as my local comic book shop guy was mentioning about a week ago, Marvel did at one time run a Star Wars comic line. Back in the late 70s or something? (I forget off hand, just woke up). I mean, over 100 issues, and from what I understand did pretty well.

I will not say that Dark Horse losing their Star Wars line makes me very happy, but hopefully Disney/Marvel don't %[email protected]# it up.

*shrug*

-Sparta
"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?"

Flight Officer Sachairi Whelan

Any feedback on roleplay, or whatever may be directed to my PM box, thanks. :)
Now running a quaint little blog here.
User

Huggiesunrise

07 Apr 2012, 07:02

by Huggiesunrise » 26 Apr 2014, 01:14

I have to say I was not as.. dismayed about this as i thought i would be. Personally i grew up on SW audio books id get from my local library some full cast audio and some read by the same old one dude they got to read them lol...

He did a pretty good princess leia.

The official star wars break it to you softly version came out today.

In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.

Demand for past tales of the Expanded Universe will keep them in print, presented under the new Legends banner.

On the screen, the first new canon to appear will be Star Wars Rebels. In print, the first new books to come from this creative collaboration include novels from Del Rey Books. First to be announced, John Jackson Miller is writing a novel that precedes the events of Star Wars Rebels and offers insight into a key character's backstory, with input directly from executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman.

TL:DR version Exspanded universe is dead long live the exspanded universe.

Source: http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html
Next