Talk about anything Star Wars here!
User

Useful Dave

21 Apr 2012, 01:21

Disney buys Lucasfilms: Episode 7 for 2015

by Useful Dave » 30 Oct 2012, 21:16

Global leader in high-quality family entertainment agrees to acquire world-renowned Lucasfilm Ltd, including legendary STAR WARS franchise.

Acquisition continues Disney's strategic focus on creating and monetizing the world's best branded content, innovative technology and global growth to drive long-term shareholder value.

Lucasfilm to join company's global portfolio of world class brands including Disney, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel and ABC.

STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.

Burbank, CA and San Francisco, CA, October 30, 2012 – Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney- ... asfilm-ltd

Say hello to Darth Mickey kids!
no avatar
User

Pathfinder

02 Apr 2012, 15:41

Arizona, USA

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilms: Episode 7 for 2015

by Pathfinder » 30 Oct 2012, 21:24

I thought for sure this was a prank... All i can say is: "What?"
My inbox is open to any critique or praise you might have toward my written RP.

"You can ignore physics all you like, but what you can't ignore is the feds."
- Path's Engineering Axiom #1
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

by Kalis » 30 Oct 2012, 21:25

Didn't see that coming. I hope Disney doesn't destroy Star Wars as much as I think it will. Its not that I hate new content or changing content, but I can see Disney totally changing Star Wars for the worse. I'll give them a shot though before completely bashing them.
Last edited by Kalis on 30 Oct 2012, 21:31, edited 2 times in total.
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

no avatar
User

thursday0451

28 Oct 2012, 16:12

by thursday0451 » 30 Oct 2012, 21:30

So ... what part of the extremely complicated Star Wars storyline will be completely obliterated and rewritten for this one?
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 31 Oct 2012, 00:41

Honestly, the idea of having someone other than Lucas at the helm gives me hope, if anything. They can't really botch it up more than Eps. 1-3.
User

Blah64

14 Nov 2011, 19:28

by Blah64 » 31 Oct 2012, 00:49

I'm worried for the Star Wars Franchise.

Lucas Arts was really lenient and allowed all these Star Wars mods to be created.

However, Disney is known for their strict control of their IPs...
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

by Kalis » 31 Oct 2012, 01:26

I never thought of that, if Disney kills this mod :( then, well, I don't know. Then again the devs could just rename everything like the X-Wing becomes a ecks-wing or a cross-wing, it just wouldnt be the same though.
I'm getting really close to hating disney but once again, patience and lets see what they do first.
Not that we shouldnt take precautions, I'm making backup files of all my favorite Star Wars mods and putting them on a external hard drive that will then be disconnected as i type.
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

no avatar
User

Qi

14 Feb 2010, 14:38

The Netherlands. Timezone: Central Europe.

by Qi » 31 Oct 2012, 08:40

It is good for our mods, though (Freeworlds and FW:TOW). We will remain topical. The time period FW:TOW is set in, 13 ABY, will be very much to the point.

Lucasart didn't come after us, luckily. Thanks for that, George (we must realize he might be reading our forums). I hope Disney won't either.

no avatar
User

thursday0451

28 Oct 2012, 16:12

by thursday0451 » 31 Oct 2012, 22:31

i'd say there are decent chances disney never figures out this mod even exists.
no avatar
User

Visazo

04 Apr 2012, 14:04

Germany

by Visazo » 31 Oct 2012, 23:58

thursday0451 wrote:i'd say there are decent chances disney never figures out this mod even exists.

indeed, but I'm pretty sure there will be quite some publicity via moddb, reddit, maybe twitter and youtube when ToW will be released ... we'll see ;)

on topic: I guess chances are that Disney will put together a decent movie. Even if not, this way we at least do get new star wars movies. if Lucas would have kept the licence we'd probably never seen another ...
Next