Talk about anything Star Wars here!
no avatar
User

Avenger

15 Feb 2010, 13:36

Velocity of hyperspace

by Avenger » 27 Feb 2010, 10:44

Yeah, like the title says any ideas on a rough number for the velocity of hyperspace?

There's so many different numbers out there, and they're all quite possibly the right answer.

There's some that say it's about 67 light years an hour for a VSD, which is about 1.2 million c.

Other have it clocking at around 600,000 c, and some even go upwards of 3.5 million c.

So yeah, it's just something that I'd like to know, because I'm perdantic like this.
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

Re: Velocity of hyperspace

by FriendlyFire » 27 Feb 2010, 17:59

In my opinion, hyperspace is as fast as what the story/context requires it to be :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Deety

14 Feb 2010, 13:09

by Deety » 27 Feb 2010, 19:13

Hyperspace speed depend of the ship, so it's not impossible to find 1.2, or 3 millions c. As long as the scale is roundly the same. Also, i think you can easily find the number of days required to travel through the galaxy. The galaxy size may be a little more tricky, but if you pick the Milky way size, you'll have a quite good idea of the hyperspace speed.

Eventually, i'm not even sure we can talk about hyperspace speed. Think about it : hyperspace is another dimension, like a parallel universe. Who knows if the physics there are even similar to ours ?
Depending of where they are in the galaxy, ships in hyperspace may be impacted by unknow forces, which modify their "hyperspace speed" and thus make it impossible to say that hyperspace speed is a constant * c.

For instance, the hyperspace could allow not having a max speed. As a consequence, you accelerate forever, and the longest the trip, the highest your speed... Just a thought :)
User

Turis

16 Feb 2010, 12:55

Santiago de compostela, Spain.

by Turis » 27 Feb 2010, 20:15

This reminds me of the Black fleet and how they got lost in hyperspace.
User

Rei

17 Feb 2010, 21:18

Mare Serenitatis Circumlunar Corporate Republic

by Rei » 27 Feb 2010, 22:52

3.5 million c ? :shock: OMG 1 c is the speed of the light - 300,000 km/s so 3.5 is a huge number imo :roll:
no avatar
User

Avenger

15 Feb 2010, 13:36

by Avenger » 28 Feb 2010, 01:24

I know hyperspace depends on the class of hyperdrive installed (which is hence related to the size of the ship and the available power output).

@FF: Yes, that's the view I'd take normally in writing a story, but then again I like my stuff to be semi-plausible, so perhaps I'm just a little OCD like that. At least Slipspace gave me a rough number of months for a jump, and a vaguely plausible reason for the jumps not always taking the same time etc. you know what I'm talking about.

But obviously there isn't much in the way of hard evidence, so I'll do what all writer's do in this situation, and call on my good friend 'suspension of reality'. Me and him go waaaay back. ;)

Cheers anyway though.
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 28 Feb 2010, 01:50

That's the spirit!
no avatar
User

tadir

08 Mar 2011, 20:15

Washington D.C.

by tadir » 08 Mar 2011, 22:10

That's actually why they can travel faster than light in hyperspace, it's another dimension where our physics don't apply in quite the same way. Traveling faster than light is impossible, so they get around it by going into a dimension where it's not an issue.
no avatar
User

tadir

08 Mar 2011, 20:15

Washington D.C.

by tadir » 09 Mar 2011, 06:21

Something about disappointment?
no avatar
User

currican

14 Feb 2010, 19:00

by currican » 29 Mar 2011, 23:59

I never understood why an object can't travel faster than light. Maybe I'm getting my references wrong but in the theory of relativity, Einstein said if a train travels at the speed of light and you throw a ball inside, the ball travels at the speed it was thrown in relevance to the inside of the train. But, he mentioned nothing about hanging yourself out the window of that train and throwing that same ball forwards.

It's like when you drive your car at 120km/h and hang your head out the window and spit. The spit goes faster than the car for a mere second and then hits you smack in the eye. Why this can't be true for that ball? Using the train and your arm as a catapult, the ball will actually go faster than the train I would assume..

Then again, it's all theory and none of it is a fact.
"does "multiplayer only" mean it has no singleplayer?"

— Random

OMG! Here they come!
Next