Any questions, comments, suggestions regarding the mod development.

Hyperspace Abuse

User

Axxif

Rank

Galactic Empire

30 Dec 2011, 13:28

Poorly-lit corner

Hyperspace Abuse

by Axxif » 18 Feb 2015, 02:19

This is something that I've notice is starting to become a problem, and in my opinion it is an incredibly massive exploit that could very easily ruin the game. Lately I have been getting reports of people abusing the hyperspace system in ways that make any actions of trying to stop them utterly useless, and are close to driving people away. As reported by one user:

He plots a jump and takes it while it is still at 100% instability. Then he plots another. And another. Until he gets away. He even does it with no shields and keeps spamming until he is gone.

This is not only non-canon, but is also very poor sportsmanship in all regards. It is using the current game mechanics in a way that gives an unfair advantage to said player, which is something that I'm pretty sure is against the rules.

I would like it to stop. To go further, I propose a limit be posted on the maximum instability percentage of which you can jump at. This way, players can't just plot and leave every time another player shows up. Such a limit would both eliminate a current flaw which is being exploited, and promote a better roleplaying environment.

Everyone is welcome to provide their input. However, this topic should remain civil at all times. At no time should any finger pointing be done to any member/group of people in regards to such abuse. If you have noticed other abuse taking place that could be prevented through modification of game mechanics (small stuff, not a massive overhaul of design), feel free to comment here as well. Thank you for your time and attentiveness in today's proceedings.
Nicholas Pitt
Skillful Imperial Line Officer and Army Tactician
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

Re: Hyperspace Abuse

by FriendlyFire » 18 Feb 2015, 02:28

Since any technical solution to this will take a while to implement (I'm really busy right now), I'll go ahead and state this: if such egregious behavior is exhibited, bring an AA or an admin online as soon as possible and have them witness it (you may use smurf ships to not alert the person in question). If the AA/admin confirms it, they are allowed to .kill the ship and warn them for abuse of gameplay mechanics. Further violations may be more severely punished at the discretion of the AAs and admins.

Yes, I am officially stating that jumping while your shields are offline is an abuse of gameplay mechanics.
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 18 Feb 2015, 02:29

I'd be more than willing to impose a limit on the instability of jumps. However, please understand that this would be on-paper only.

Punishing anyone for exploiting this would require hard evidence.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
User

Axxif

Rank

Galactic Empire

30 Dec 2011, 13:28

Poorly-lit corner

by Axxif » 18 Feb 2015, 02:45

Thank you for your rapid response guys!

I'd recommend around 85% be the cutoff point. For any reported breaking of rules, require either video and/or screenshot of the player right before they jump and right after. And FF, it's not just jumping while your shields are down, but jumping immediately after making the hyperspace routes. Although they are quite unstable, they are also somewhat manageable if you are attentive to what you're doing. No worries; we all understand that, and don't expect changes in a week. But I figured this needed to be brought up so that it could be stopped, as like I said it's wholly unfair, and could potentially drive players away if continued.
Nicholas Pitt
Skillful Imperial Line Officer and Army Tactician
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

by Kalis » 18 Feb 2015, 02:51

I'd say at least 50% stability, it seems like a lot but the jumps that are being calculated to escape tend to be short range and completely stable in under a minute.
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 18 Feb 2015, 03:31

I won't enforce anything beyond that. Jumping at 0% stability is gauging your skills. Jumping without shields is abusing the mechanics. If you only have one jump before you can't leave, things should already go much better.
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 18 Feb 2015, 03:38

From here on out the Code of Conduct will state that Jumping without shields is considered an abuse of game mechanics and will be handled as if it were any other infraction.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.