Any questions, comments, suggestions regarding the mod development.
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

Latest Patch: Ship Handling and Balance Feedback

by Kalis » 23 Dec 2014, 05:52

So someone needs to kick this off and after flying around and screwing around a lot with the ship it might as well be me.
Feel free to post praise or concerns here. Please note it is preferred if you have actually been flying ships in combat against players.

LIGHT FIGHTERS
The balance between the TIE Fighter and Z95 was perfect. While the TIE Fighter outmaneuvered the Z95 and outran it, the Z95 had more firepower to compensate. There was a slight issue when a X-Wing flew by and killed the TIE Fighter with a few well placed hits, it literally took under two seconds. So although the balance among the light fighters was good, they may both need a health boost when compared to the other fighters.

MEDIUM FIGHTERS
One of the first things me and Rogueleeder did was hop into a TIE Interceptor and X-Wing respectively and start shooting at each other. We were both very happy with the ships handling and speed, and thought they were spot on. There was one concern however, we both agreed the Interceptor may need a boost to damage per shot. The reason for this was while the X-Wing could deadify the Inty in one nice burst the Interceptor took a long time to take out the X-Wing. It would not survive without a lot of evasive action on its part. This was further compounded by the X-Wing's missiles when we started testing with those active as well.

HEAVY FIGHTERS
When flying the heavy fighters, I should first say that Rogueleeder was pretty damn happy with the E-Wing. I personally think there is an imbalance between the TIE/D and the E-Wing, namely the E-Wing seems to put out more damage and is faster and more maneuverable. Another issue that came up when we tested the damage a proton torp did to either fighter was that they seemed to have less health than their medium fighter counterparts. While it took an equal number of proton torps to down both a X-Wing and E-Wing, two torpedoes brought the X-Wing to half health while two torpedoes took the E-Wing to nearly dead. And for something with two ion cannon and four laser cannon the TIE Defender seemed to do significantly less damage than the E-Wing, which only has three laser cannon if I recall correctly.

INTERCEPTORS
Although we played around with the Interceptors a bit, I couldn't come to a satisfactory conclusion. This is mainly because as someone who spent most of their time as a dedicated interceptor-type pilot, I was simply more used to their quirks than my quarry. If anything I would like permission to fly the A-Wing next time so I can come to a conclusive opinion on their balance.

PATROL BOATS
With single fire these things are really scary now. I honestly don't know what to say. They can possibly just mow down fighters that get close. Will probably need more testing but I know if one side just flew patrol boats the other would be screwed royally unless they unleashed capitals or more patrol boats. Maybe make them more expensive or remove launchers or something to make them less overkill, I know that overkill is the purpose of the patrol boat but something seems off here.

SHUTTLES
Well, the ATR-6 just might be the only thing that can easily murderize a patrol boat excepting another patrol boat. Its single fire is once again something to be feared by whatever gets really close. I say really close because its accuracy is terrible, and it is just as well seeing as what it does hit has a habit of disappearing. The rapid fire YTs gave it a run for its money though. We also played with the DX-9 and it made an excellent rapid fire patrol boat killer in my opinion but doesn't do enough to hurt an ATR-6 before it dies. The JV-7 seemed to suck but then again I honestly have no idea what its use is, because we never use them.

YT-SERIES
While messing around in the YT I noticed it now has four quad lasers that pour out fire like there's no tomorrow. Although it was hilarious seeing as I was cutting down everyone who got near me I realized the YT now had the same anti-fighter capabilities of a Corellian Corvette. Which is ridiculously overpowered in my opinion. Maybe cut it back down to two quad lasers like it actually has?

CRUISERS
Seeing as I didn't have much to do with the MC80 this will focus on the VSD. I sat and poured laser fire into a MC90 and am sorry to say it didn't do jack shit. The VSD's lasers still don't seem to have any impact on a fight. That being said its energy problem may have been fixed, I honestly wasn't paying attention because I was being shot at.

BATTLESHIPS
Thank you so much for fixing the ISD and MC90. It is amazing, awesome, and a bunch of other words that mean thank you! I am contemplating the corpse of a MC90 as I type.
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

no avatar
User

Rebel_Storm

17 Sep 2014, 17:40

Either Ohio or Corellia...definately Corellia

Re: Latest Patch: Ship Handling and Balance Feedback

by Rebel_Storm » 23 Dec 2014, 16:16

Yep, you dun stole me job... :P
FLT, R. Duine Image Wolf-02 (B-wing)
ImageImageImage

Bountyhunter available 2 highest bidder. P/M me 4 contract.
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

by Kalis » 23 Dec 2014, 16:37

It is kind of everybody's job.

Would really appreciate your own feedback people, even if you just agree with me ;)
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 23 Dec 2014, 16:38

For what it's worth, fighter balance is only temporary and will change completely, but capital balance is closer to final. Freighters aren't balanced at all and I need to force Sizer to look at them.
User

Axxif

Rank

Galactic Empire

30 Dec 2011, 13:28

Poorly-lit corner

by Axxif » 23 Dec 2014, 19:11

If I may, I'd like to chime in on things:

Now, I'm not sure if I was too close to fire, my game was bugged, or I just suck at piloting, but I couldn't get but a dozen shots off with the MC90. I was told that the guns were located in the front and along the bottom, and I could see those massive ones on the side, but they must have a tiny arc of fire to work. I'm no expert, but I think it should be reviewed, and maybe the guns can be given a wider firing arc to help?
Nicholas Pitt
Skillful Imperial Line Officer and Army Tactician
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 23 Dec 2014, 19:18

All MCs are designed for forward and aft fire. You won't get a shot off from the sides, and that's by design.
no avatar
User

swirusek

11 May 2015, 20:15

by swirusek » 11 May 2015, 20:18

for me balance is allright