Any questions, comments, suggestions regarding the mod development.

Hmmm... garrison idea?

User

Axxif

Rank

Galactic Empire

30 Dec 2011, 13:28

Poorly-lit corner

Hmmm... garrison idea?

by Axxif » 06 Dec 2014, 15:09

While skimming through the forums (In particular those comments just posted on Kalis's balance corner), I've noticed that the true 'bombers', per say, are more/less gunboats/assault shuttles, at least right now. Also, although I'm sure it does work well, I think the influence-method of capturing stations is quite slow for vessels that aren't star destroyers, and as of right now doesn't even translate ingame to its true function of aligning with each faction. Furthermore, there are army soldiers available for purchase. To me the solution is clear: rebalance the game so that shuttles shuttle troops and these troops alter influence of the station they're 'sold' at when a capital ship is present.

Example: GE players are attacking Borleias Command. They've got, say, a Lancer Cruiser in space, and a lambda shuttle loaded with stormtroopers. The Lancer stays within the required 10k (or whatever distance is required), while the lambda docks with the station (even though the station is NR-aligned, it's given an exemption... either it can always dock or maybe because the capital ship is present?). The lambda then 'sells' its compliment of stormtroopers to the station, and because the lancer is within range, these stormtroopers immediately change the reputation level of GE to be better than it is (with a varying factor level, say .1 or .05 or something) and inversely affect the NR's rep.

Granted, this might take a good deal of work, but in my mind it would be a good idea. Also maybe when a faction is more-aligned with a new one than that it is currently with, then 'selling' the troops would tip the tide of things so that the ship switches. Using the example above, since Borleias Command is pro-GE in the GameCP, because the stormtroopers have come aboard that's an IG trigger to shift the alignment of the station from NR to GE. Using this method, maybe it could be possible to require that these troops be 'sold' to a station before it changes alignment IG, even if it's solely aligned to one faction in the GameCP (like Borleias Command is). Thoughts, questions, comments?
Nicholas Pitt
Skillful Imperial Line Officer and Army Tactician
no avatar
User

Warbird

02 Dec 2014, 00:55

Re: Hmmm... garrison idea?

by Warbird » 06 Dec 2014, 17:19

This was a concept used back in the original ToW. There used to be a certain number of storm troopers (commodity) needed to be delivered to a station before it could be captured. Similar concept to what you're proposing, but the mechanic wasn't hardcoded--an admin would just be present to watch the engagement (as they were always organized) and would tally the amount of troops delivered via shuttle craft. When the necessary number were delivered, if I recall correctly, a timer would start and if the Imperial caps still held the station at the end of that timer, then the ownership was transferred.

All that to say, I like the idea.
Warbird - Loronar Corporation
------------------------------------------------
[IN]HA.Warbird - Original ToW Character
[Jedi_Knight]Trenent - Long-retired Freeworlds Jedi
User

Rogueleeder

Rank

New Republic

04 Dec 2011, 23:33

Nova Scotia Canada

by Rogueleeder » 06 Dec 2014, 18:00

I always like that way of capturing bases. I enjoy flying through hails of laser fire in a transport to dock on the bases. As an SP we used to scan ships who docked (after announcing they were under our protection and would not be fired upon) then kept a paper tally of the total number of troops dropped off. We used that as a alternative to Capping, it made for very fun TEs.
Chief Adviser to New Republic Command

Retired from combat operations

Side Positions:
Lore Staff
Admin Assistant
Blame RL he wasn't here enough
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

by Kalis » 06 Dec 2014, 18:04

I think this is the fourth fifth time this has been suggested :lol:
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

User

berowe

Rank

Galactic Empire

07 Apr 2012, 06:50

Improcco

by berowe » 06 Dec 2014, 18:52

Makes fighters/bombers useful (as in, killing shuttles) so I'm in.
"You're going to have to run faster than that, reb..."
- Reaper comms -

Formerly/Currently:
Avenger-4, Dian Set, Reaper-02, Reaper-04, Reaper-05, Yol-01, The Randy Gamorrean, The Snooty Sullustian, Ithorian Sunset, INV Kalix's Bane, et alia.
User

Axxif

Rank

Galactic Empire

30 Dec 2011, 13:28

Poorly-lit corner

by Axxif » 06 Dec 2014, 22:15

With integration of a system similar to the stockpile system an exact tally can always be kept... any maybe once a station has a certain rep and troop number it can be 'claimed' in a manner similar to the stockpiling one?
Nicholas Pitt
Skillful Imperial Line Officer and Army Tactician