Any questions, comments, suggestions regarding the mod development.

Event to bring back players

User

berowe

Rank

Galactic Empire

07 Apr 2012, 06:50

Improcco

Event to bring back players

by berowe » 20 Nov 2014, 23:03

Rogueleeder and Kalis have been doing great stuff to bring in more active players recently and I feel that it's time for the devs to join in and support this. The game is fun as ever, and we're on the cusp of getting activity back where it was, but it can't all be player-driven.

I don't really care what kind of event is organized, but it should coincide with social media/moddb advertisements, etc, and give players something to dangle in front of the former players that they keep in touch with outside of the game. Maybe it could be timed with the release of a patch of some of the things you've been working on (well, a few days after a patch, so as to give time to bug hunt). A race in polith won't cut it, but maybe a 2-3 part multi-factional, semi-RP event culminating in battles with dev-piloted and event-provided ships. It could be prepped with a lore article, supported by forum RP, with in-game events spread out across a week or so, so as to allow various people to join in depending on their schedules.

I would just hate for their efforts to be in vain and the playerbase to shrink again. Once players are in-game it's too easy for us to latch onto them, show them how to play, and get them into our comms networks like skype-- and once they're there, they realize how much fun the mod can be with a good community of friends.
"You're going to have to run faster than that, reb..."
- Reaper comms -

Formerly/Currently:
Avenger-4, Dian Set, Reaper-02, Reaper-04, Reaper-05, Yol-01, The Randy Gamorrean, The Snooty Sullustian, Ithorian Sunset, INV Kalix's Bane, et alia.
User

Rogueleeder

Rank

New Republic

04 Dec 2011, 23:33

Nova Scotia Canada

Re: Event to bring back players

by Rogueleeder » 20 Nov 2014, 23:15

I have the power to run these events and do some lore work. If the community would like to suggest things to myself or Darkforce we'll see what we can do. By suggestions I mean, a server event that is backed up by some sort of back story that fits the lore.
Chief Adviser to New Republic Command

Retired from combat operations

Side Positions:
Lore Staff
Admin Assistant
Blame RL he wasn't here enough
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

by Kalis » 20 Nov 2014, 23:23

I think that at the moment, the best way to start getting players back is not through a massive event but just through player interaction.

For example, I help out new players who get stuck in Bastion. Just by being nice and off-handedly mentioning the faction is active and recruiting I tend to pick up new, active players. I don't bribe them, I rarely hand out money anymore. I'm just nice and prove that it isn't a dead server.

I mean, people log on to the server to check it out and they see a ghost town. They get bored and leave. Ultimately, the scale of the universe is impressive, the changes and attention to detail are great, but it is people that make this game come alive and without people the game is merely a shell. If new players have people to interact with they stay.

Personally, the type of people who would show up to a massive event might not be the type of people who will stay around, build a community, and actively participate. They could be there for a one time blow out of free capital ships and PvP action. That isn't to say we shouldn't try it, but I am not sure if it would cause the massive increase in activity we want. Everyone can see what this mod can be and I like to think that a community is developing. Sure it is small, sure maybe only one person joins in the span of a week. But those who stay are building a foundation for something that will hopefully not just last a year, but as long as this game/mod continues to exist.

What I'm trying to get at is those of us who are here need to work to make this mod what people want to be a part of. Massive battles and large groups online shouldn't be treated as an one time special event, it should be something that could happen everyday.

Just keep that in mind when planning this.

That being said, the IFV Drexls Nest is ready is for some real action ;) How did I get on such a long tangent???
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 21 Nov 2014, 05:48

I'd be happy to put together an article and plot points for an event, but I agree with Kalis that a big event isn't necessarily the best way to grow the playerbase.

A few reasons why:

-A large, plot driven, player-centric event is a great draw for people who are already familiar with the game and its mechanics. Imagine having an event as suggested and ten new players show up without a clue where to go / how to fly / what to do. The players that came for the event would spend a long time fielding questions and it would be difficult to coordinate.

-Think about another multiplayer game you played a long time ago that you'd like to get back into. What's the first question you ask: "Are people still playing?" If the answer is no, the chances of you reinstalling and reinvesting time in the game are smaller. If yes, you'll feel more comfortable because there's still a community there for you to get involved with.

-The draw ultimately needs to be the game itself. The game should be fun to play with a small group, or even by yourself, and large events should be there to accent the regular gameplay, rather than make up for a lack in activity. A big event is very fun and exciting but ultimately momentary.

It'd be like the monthly WWE pay-per-view events vs. the twice-or-thrice weekly primetime shows. The weekly shows amp you up for the main event. This would be the ideal format for us, tbh.

Ultimately what we need is more outreach from the community to new players. Have gamer friends? Try to get them into the mod, help them find a copy of FL, etc. It would be fantastic if Freelancer was sold through Steam and sales drove new players our way, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen, so we have to make do.

One idea could be hosting a sort of regular New Player Invitational event to help ease newer people in. A possible format for that:

-One night a week or maybe bi-monthly active players can dedicate a few hours to welcoming newcomers and showing them the ropes.
-We can couple that with adverts on the forum, twitter, FB, etc.

Other suggestions for such an event are welcome!

The other portion of this comes down to making things more accessible and fast-paced, which is what the mod team is currently working on. Having a big update will also be a good draw for new people and old players alike.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
no avatar
User

swirusek

11 May 2015, 20:15

by swirusek » 11 May 2015, 20:19

Any of these event should be done
no avatar
User

WedgeA13

14 Dec 2014, 03:03

The office next to Kalis's w/ "Almost" plaque.

by WedgeA13 » 12 May 2015, 18:10

You know it might be nice to compile a timetable of players on the server. Just something that catalogs people most native time to be around on the server in one place. While it could be used to disadvantage on the war front it could help in planning events for the server. Having such a timetable could also help newer players find a more experienced one on when they are so there aren't as many people just hopping on the server alone.

If not anything akin to that it might be nice for at least like Darkforce to compile such information to help him plan for events. As for at least some sort of event to happen, it might be nice if we can at least plan, maybe even a moth ahead, a time just for the community to get on, not as factions but simply players. One of the goals of this event would probably be to get players on the forms or the server on the game to interact with the community and, again repeating seemingly hollowed words, give some life to the server and get some action going again.

I'm just throwing my 2 cents at the subject, personally I like the game it's hard to find people on the server and I can see from a new players perspective there really isn't anything to do if its just you fresh on the server.

Record: 2,800 lines of errors
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 12 May 2015, 18:17

I'd be happy to start a thread for that. We need more resources for new players to get situated.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.