Any questions, comments, suggestions regarding the mod development.
User

Axxif

Rank

Galactic Empire

30 Dec 2011, 13:28

Poorly-lit corner

Re: Kalis's List of (Petty) Annoyances

by Axxif » 26 Dec 2014, 04:45

Here's something which I don't quite understand: Losing your cargo if you're kicked out of hyperspace. I just lost 15 Dev Teams because I had tried travelling from one system to another after just logging in, and didn't know this would happen until after I found myself right where I left and a very lighter hull mass. To me, although this is might be considered an ingame "incentive" to not try jumping to hyperspace without shields, imo it should not be there at all. It's like Leia, Han, C-3PO and Chewie being ejected into space when the Falcon gets hyperspace problems in Episode V: it doesn't make any sense. Please excuse my rant; you guys are doing an excellent job with the mod. In the past 24 hours I've lost over 1 million credits due to error (this is including the cash transfer error I encountered earlier).

Proposition: Eliminate the loss of cargo upon a failed hyperspace jump.

Might a dev possibly explain why it's there please? Thanks!
Nicholas Pitt
Skillful Imperial Line Officer and Army Tactician
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

by Kalis » 26 Dec 2014, 05:33

It's there as an incentive against making hasty jumps as a freighter.

Basically, if a pirate ambushes you, you say "Oh noes" <sarcasm, then you jump to lightspeed and escape with no harm to yourself. This is to prevent that from happening and make it so pirates/raiders are more of a threat.

The unfortunate debate is whether or not this is worth the risk of losing your cargo every time the server (or your connection) gets screwy in hyperspace. Which for some inexplicable reason is pretty common at the moment. Once fixed I think it will be a great feature, until then I am pretty sure it will remain a petty annoyance, at least for me.
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 26 Dec 2014, 05:51

Yeah, I know for a fact that if we remove cargo loss, people are going to exploit hyperspace to hell and back in order to get out of any possible threatening situation. It'd leave pirates hanging and enjoy doing cargo scans when the freighter can just hightail it out every single time.
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

by Kalis » 26 Dec 2014, 06:11

Although if their shields just get messed up and they are stuck in the middle of nowhere for a while without losing their cargo that could work just as well. Because that is basically what is happening, those heavy freighters have a ridiculous shield regen time. The YTs though, well, how about this:

Is there a way you can make those Mag Pulses and Ion Pulses a jump preventative or just make a special missile for that purpose?
So if you get hit by one it starts up your hyperspace cool down so you can't jump for so long.

Its a bit hack and slash but can at least solve the problem without frustrating freighter pilots as badly as whenever their connection fudges up or they lose a packet dies they lose their haul.

User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 26 Dec 2014, 06:26

But then a single bomber with an ion pulse can stall your ISD. Are you sure you want that?
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

by Kalis » 26 Dec 2014, 07:40

They take up a lot of space though and you can make them more expensive too.

So would it be worth it to carry 1 or 2 ion pulses that stop my ISD from jumping for a couple minutes or more damaging ordnance? I can see that being an issue in terms of capital ship battles but they already can't jump once their shields are gone anyways so the other side would have to plan ahead.

And those things work both ways.

I'm not sure it is possible that you guys can make it where they only work on smaller ships or only a special (unguided?) type works on capitals but I figured I should throw that idea out on top of the other as well. If there was something capable of stopping an ISD from jumping I'd assume it would be rather expensive and take up my entire cargo bay.

That and at the moment you don't have any dedicated pirates to worry about, and both factions can build interdictors too for hyperspace prevention. That is really only a (expensive) band-aid I know. At worst a rule could be created along the lines of no jumping for x amount of time during an encounter, but that is a sloppy band-aid.

I think the first idea and the add-on might be a solution, the latter are really me being tired and ranting, I'll sleep on it...

User

Axxif

Rank

Galactic Empire

Poorly-lit corner

by Axxif » 26 Dec 2014, 14:50

What if... what if yinz were to give Pirate Freighters and above a 'mini-interdictor generator'. This would only generate a small field, say 10k or so, but from that it would in theory give the pirates plenty of time to work with to board/slaughter/whatever they want. Canonically they did have these things, and did employ them regularly since the clone wars.

Another option is to try implementing a tractor beam system... which would be quite an interesting addition. I figure it'd be MUCH more work, though (unless yinz have that script all ready and just sitting around in the shed out back)
Nicholas Pitt
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

by Kalis » 26 Dec 2014, 16:09

Pirates will have access to a CC-7700 later if they do decide to give them the Hutt roster like what was stated for the meta pivot, but the problem is making the money to afford that. Pirates are not going to want to make their money trading and they are less ambiguous than mercenaries in that most factions won't hire them.

User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

by Kalis » 26 Dec 2014, 16:14

Another thing is pirates could easily follow most freighters' jumps better and faster than the freighter could. Especially if it was a "oh shit I have to get out of here" jump without much planning.

User

Axxif

Rank

Galactic Empire

Poorly-lit corner

by Axxif » 26 Dec 2014, 16:34

That actually lit a lightbulb in my head, and is a good segway into this point:

Most ingame npc freighters I've seen do not have any cargo inside them. I say give them cargo, even pointless stuff like water, air, foodstuff, exotic spices, et cetera. This would give pirates something else to attack, and something much less potentially potent to try and bring in income to acquire a larger vessel
Nicholas Pitt
PreviousNext