Any questions, comments, suggestions regarding the mod development.
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

Another Semi-Random Idea: Trading and Planet Bonuses

by Kalis » 27 Oct 2014, 00:44

It's time for another random idea that probably won't work or isn't possible. Actually, I have two this time.

DISCLAIMER: Once again I understand that these, if possible, could not be implemented anytime soon. I'm simply throwing them out there to get some discussion rolling.

Idea #1:
Even when it wasn't a purely money making process trading was pretty lax. The only threats were enemy attacks and dying of boredom. Right now the dynamic economy is only supporting the demand part of an economy, with prices increasing or decreasing depending on sales. But there is honestly no competition between traders because there is an infinite supply.

What if only so much of a commodity was produced a day? I thought this would be a good solution but then I realized this heavily favors those who can be on once the commidities reset and that just wasn't fair. So to limit supply what if there is still a fixed amount of commodities, but they replenish themselves at different rates. Suddenly procuring tibanna just got a bit more difficult/competitive.

Idea #2:
During the beta I noticed there wasn't really much to drive the factions towards attacking each other except the fact that we don't like each other (and winning of course). Honestly, captured one enemy system captured them all. The only reward is watching those little colors on the map change (and later extra tax income I guess) and honestly I had to do that manually with paint for a petty sense of achievement. After thinking for a not particularly long time on the subject this is the solution I liked the most:

Special system or planetary bonuses. Remember how Empire at War had those little bonuses like 25% more firepower or speed or whatever for each planet? Why not do that? I'm even going to push my luck by asking whether or not throwing in unique ships for the faction that owns certain planets is a possibility. Note that some of these bonuses might not be possible to implement and this was intended to be supplemented by idea #1, I have am also not creative enough to think of bonuses for all the systems, let alone every world/base. Feel free to smack me for suggesting extra ships :P

Here's what I thought of for different systems (going NW-SE, I also pulled the numbers out of my @$$, they aren't balanced):

Bastion - Capital
Suggestion: Losing control of this system can cause a loss of order within your territories which includes but is not limited to increased pirate numbers, less friendly patrols, decreased tax income, and possible rogue elements. (I honestly never liked the whole you can't capture a capital thing, although it is understandable since we start there and that would be [difficult] to change. If that ever changes please consider the previous suggestion.)

Rimcee - ?

Muunilinst - Increased tax income (10%)

Garqi - ?

Dathomir - Increased sensor range (20%)

Horuset - Sith Homeworld
Controlling this world increases the number of influence points your ships exert by 20%

Yavin - Jedi Homeworld
Controlling this world increases the number of influence points needed to capture your bases by 20%

Cron Drift - ?

Calamari - Decreased shield regen time (5%)
Possible Unique Ship: MC series, making these ships only buildable at calamari gives a heavy incentive to attack/defend this system in particular but a few new NR ships would be needed so the NR isn't crippled too badly if the planet is lost.

Bilbringi - Increased Golan strength/firepower (10%)

Borleias - ?

Coruscant - Capital
Suggestion: Losing control of this system can cause a loss of order within your territories which includes but is not limited to increased pirate numbers, less friendly patrols, decreased tax income, and possible rogue elements

Kashyyyk - Decreased ship cost (5%)

Randon - ?

Sleheyron - Extra weekly income (500,000 - Hutt only)

Kessel - Extra weekly income (500,000 - Hutt/Empire only)

Formos - ?

Fresia - Increased starfighter maneuverability (10%)

Kuat - Decreased cost of capital ships (10%)
Possible Unique Ship: I know the ISD-II and Nebula SD were being considered as fleet additions, what if they were only buyable/buildable at Kuat?

Beshqek - Increased sensor range (25%)

Corellia - Increased freighter speed/maneuverability (10%)

Tsoss Beacon - ?

Y'Toub - Decreased cost of ordnance (10%)

Teth - ?

Fondor - Decreased heavy capital (Cruiser-Battleship) Cost (10%)

Polith - ?

Gamor - ?

Yag'Dhul - ?

Gamorr - ?

Endor - Increased weekly income (500,000)

Cerea - ?

Bespin - Increased Laser Damage (10%)

Hoth - ?

Sullust - Decreased Light Capital (Corvette-Frigate) cost (10%)
Possible Unique Ship: Dauntless and Liberator Cruiser (Liberator currently under Corellian roster, Dauntless would serve a role similar to the MC80 but with more armor and speed and less firepower and maneuverability)

Radnor - ?

Tyrius - ?

Tatoo - ?

Ryloth - Increased weekly income (250,000)

Now there's a reason to capture worlds instead of just for the sake of capturing them (and that whole conquering the galaxy thing).

Feel free to suggest things to replace question marks or the stuff that will turn out to be not possible (provided this entire thing isn't labeled impossible) as well as unique ships if that is alright.
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

Re: Another Semi-Random Idea: Trading and Planet Bonuses

by FriendlyFire » 27 Oct 2014, 02:28

#1 is something we've been wishing we could do but it's complicated so probably won't make it in, at least for a while.

#2 is iffy because bonuses of this sort tend to amplify snowballing. We don't want to end up in a situation where a faction is walled in, and giving bonuses to winners would be a surefire way of making that happen.

The biggest thing right now is that you can capture shipyards and that losing shipyards will restrict your ability as a faction to make capitals. Therefore, they're well-guarded and harder to take.

In fact, it'd be more interesting to have systems have unique win conditions (ie. increase difficulty by varying what you have to do to capture bases), but then it comes back to lack of manpower. As is, we can barely make it and as soon as I'm busy 75% of the development screeches to a halt. We just can't dedicate these resources, and I sadly don't see that changing.
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

Re: Another Semi-Random Idea: Trading and Planet Bonuses

by Kalis » 27 Oct 2014, 03:06

I considered that with the snowballing. What if there is some effect where the bigger your faction is the easier it is to lose planets? A way of simulating overstretched resources/manpower.

What if the more systems you had, the less influence your fleet exerts (with the opposite effect for a faction that is down to a few systems). It couldn't be something drastic though because that would just make a static galaxy which is boring, but at the same time it should be enough so that a faction with only a couple systems left could easily bounce back and make rapid gains, even if the enemy fleet is far superior.

The smaller faction would just have to avoid a massive battle and be sneaky guerrillas to cap bases while the winning faction attempts to chase them off their lawn (since at that point it should be virtually impossible to make more gains without a massive overwhelming fleet that leaves other worlds undefended).

As to unique win conditions, I suggested something a long time ago about having to ferry soldiers, equipment, vehicles, and the supplies to sustain them to a world in order to capture and occupy it. Basically an invasion force. Numbers would be crunched as both sides struggle to keep their forces maintained and stop the enemy forces and planetary conditions (like population loyalty) would affect capture rates.

Depending on the population's loyalty/militancy an occupation force may be required. A lot less boring than parking a ship over a planet for hours on end (although a fleet presence would boost your force's effectiveness and victories in space improve morale in order not to waste that wonderful influence system you already have set up). Unfortunately it would require that limited commodity supply thing to truly work, otherwise both sides would have infinite forces and supplies and it would turn into a shipping race.

Another thing you could try is adding prerequisites to capture like I did for progressing my failed mini campaign (destroy so many fighters, send a capital to aid, stop those freighters, ship supplies to the base, etc.).

I know you guys are short on manpower, which is why these are only suggestions. If things ever change, I'm looking forwards to seeing what happens :)

Plus it can never hurt to throw things out there, unless it involves Venators or Mandos, then it hurts. A lot. :P
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector