Any questions, comments, suggestions regarding the mod development.

Metagame Pivot

no avatar
User

Visazo

04 Apr 2012, 14:04

Germany

Re: Metagame Pivot

by Visazo » 16 Jul 2014, 11:10

I've posted about the problems for new players 1.5 months ago, mentioning most of what you describe. Except, of course, the issues with the new hyperjump mechanism: http://www.freeworldstidesofwar.com/vie ... 415#p25415
(you can skip the first paragraph)

with all due respect to the work of the devs but I still think that those issues should be adressed first and apparently I'm not alone with this opinion. Especially with the mentioned lack of manpower, things like rebalancing the fighters can be done afterwards.
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 16 Jul 2014, 17:13

I'm sure we've mentioned this elsewhere, but it would be a HUGE help to the dev team if more experienced players like you guys could pull together and create an easy to use guide for new players.

A few of you have already begun to work on one. I offered to help coordinate that and I will continue to do so.

Either way, please understand that all the work being done on the game is a large undertaking for just a few people. We don't have an office where we sit together and work (that would truly be fantastic). FriendlyFire completes his work on the Hyperspace system, for instance, and so the dilemma becomes, do we wait around to document it, or do we implement it ASAP to work out any bugs in the system?

If I'm not there, again for instance, to turn his specs into something readable for players right then and there, how long do we wait to push out new features to you? The more we push features back, the more time we have to add to development and bug crushing. You don't want that and neither do we.

Anyway, the ultimate point I'm trying to make is that if we crowd-source the documentation a bit it would be a huge boon to the community. Just as I put the initial RP guide out so long ago, I can help put together a players handbook and publish it on ModDB and other places for the sake of visibility.

With your help, we can make it clear, concise and make something really valuable to the community.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
User

Rogueleeder

Rank

New Republic

04 Dec 2011, 23:33

Nova Scotia Canada

by Rogueleeder » 16 Jul 2014, 17:40

Handbook progression is going well, however I need feedback on the stuff I've already written, With Dev permission I'd like to create a sort of Log thread somewhere to post the parts I've done to be critiqued by the community. Though I can do it alone (given time) I would rather have the community help write short pieces on the topics they know best (stockpiling, Combat, Capital Ships, Eventually Force Users) You can send them to me and I'll incorporate them into the guide (who knows you may do a better job at writing some parts than me :D ) and I'll give you credit at the end of the finished product. I welcome any amount of help you can give.

I have plans for more guide videos but I have virtually done all the ones I can do alone (working on an update to hyperspace) I need a list of people I can call on at a moments notice to help me film the combat ones. My schedule during the week is hectic so I record when I have the time. You need to be willing to be filmed, have the ability to talk via Teamspeak and finally be willing to have you're voice on Youtube (again credit will be given). So please don't hesitate to contact me if you want to help. By helping, you ensure this mod survives and continues to be played by people such as yourselves.
Chief Adviser to New Republic Command

Retired from combat operations

Side Positions:
Lore Staff
Admin Assistant
Blame RL he wasn't here enough
User

Loki

Rank

Galactic Empire

27 Apr 2014, 18:25

Germany

by Loki » 16 Jul 2014, 20:00

I would really like to help you with that Rogueleeder, but unfortunalty my internet connection is producing lags whenever i try to join a game...

However, as soon as i found a fix to that i´m more than willing to help!
Master of Propaganda
IFV - Phantom
Reaper - 12

ImageImageImage
no avatar
User

w0dk4

14 Feb 2010, 14:33

Germany

by w0dk4 » 17 Jul 2014, 13:14

Yes, confusion is a big problem. We are making this a priority to provide ingame help so that new players know what they actually can do. I think next to the crashes, this was by far the most alienating reason for new players to leave, simply not knowing what the hell to do.
User

Drakaisyl

Rank

Galactic Empire

10 Feb 2014, 13:23

by Drakaisyl » 17 Jul 2014, 13:57

Maybe you should release a Patchnote then how the new Interface for Tactical Map,Jumping into Hyperspace and so on is done,as there is nothing on the subsection of this board. Don't know if you left it out on mistake or it was willingly not mentioned anywhere because of test phase or anything.
I have walked the edge of the Abyss.
I have governed the unwilling.
I have witnessed countless empires break before me.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.

I have seen your future.
And I have learned

I have won.
User

Teradyn

Rank

Galactic Empire Command

27 Mar 2014, 21:06

The Sovereign Nation of Texas

by Teradyn » 17 Jul 2014, 16:05

Patch notes are not for new players to learn the mechanics. They are for existing players to be aware of changes. They are important, but they don't address the issue the guide is targeting.

User

Drakaisyl

Rank

Galactic Empire

10 Feb 2014, 13:23

by Drakaisyl » 17 Jul 2014, 16:25

Teradyn wrote:Patch notes are not for new players to learn the mechanics. They are for existing players to be aware of changes. They are important, but they don't address the issue the guide is targeting.

They are also important for new player so that they know what changed from the last time to the prestent.And if existing players don't know what happens,how are they supopsed to help the new players then ?
I have walked the edge of the Abyss.
I have governed the unwilling.
I have witnessed countless empires break before me.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.

I have seen your future.
And I have learned

I have won.
Previous