Any questions, comments, suggestions regarding the mod development.
no avatar
User

Marshal Pain

01 Apr 2011, 12:49

known and annoying AI

by Marshal Pain » 28 Jun 2012, 17:40

Hello everybody. I didnt find any topics on my probleblem, so i create this topic. All of us know that Akhilesova a heel of this game is AI. I comand MC-90 Star Cruser and a bot is for me the real headache. I am rammed by all ships under control of the computer. I noticed in behavior of AI, what he tries to fly through the ship of the player, and I want to ask you, whether it is possible to program AI so, what it would fly at first on rapprochement to the player (on distance in 2К), and then started to fly round the player, instead of to ram it or here only it is possible to increase a friction between the ship of the player and AI???
User

Slowpoke

15 Apr 2012, 12:48

Re: known and annoying AI

by Slowpoke » 28 Jun 2012, 18:14

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=1400&p=14953#p14953
Sushi wrote:Post'em here as you get them.

Total Bugs
-------------------------------------------------------
Capital Ship Flipping - Pending

Actually this is old problem. But admins still try to find best solution for this problem. Somewhere on forum they are explain why they can't fix it. ... I can't find link, but in two words: "roots of problem in native FW"
soooooooooo slooooooooow
Dementia & Bravery!
no avatar
User

Cold

21 Mar 2010, 23:10

by Cold » 29 Jun 2012, 10:19

I believe Capital ship flipping "can" be fixed to a certain degree but its just collisions with PC ships and not npcs.
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villian."
-Harvey Dent
User

Alteris

27 Jun 2012, 20:25

by Alteris » 29 Jun 2012, 17:57

I agree I have also seen this behavior with all NPCs, and the really annoying part is they Don't seem to take any shield damage ? yet I either loose all mine or get turned into scrap lol. I think that fighters/bombers should well, literally blow up if they collide with a corvette or bigger ship just like in the movies :D lols.
System:
Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.9GHz
Zalman CNPS10X Performa
8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz Cas 9-9-9-24-2T
GigaByte HD4890OC
ASRock 990FX Extreme 4
Seagate 750GB
Xigmetek Utgard Window Sided Case
Antec 750Watt PSU
x8 Aerocool Shark 120mm Blue LED Case fans
no avatar
User

Teh Critic

21 Apr 2012, 23:31

by Teh Critic » 14 Jul 2012, 16:13

Guys, I should remind you that the Ai for Freeworlds is the same for Freelancer and that the AI is trying to use a ability it doesnt have, Engine Kill. Cause of this, the fighters in front of you are stopped in place, causing you to collide with the fighter. Also, the collision rate is hard to alter, but not impossible. It would take them time to make the required changes. Just bare in mind of the defaults.
no avatar
User

Lexx

16 Aug 2012, 16:38

by Lexx » 03 Oct 2012, 04:21

If part of the problem is the AI trying to use engine kill, and it's not available in Freeworlds, then why not just put it back in?

I used to love using engine kill in Freelancer. Every good pilot did it to pull off some amazing maneuvers. Engine kill was something that made Freelancer different from every other space game. It really gives you the feeling of being in a zero gravity frictionless environment.

I was a bit disappointed when I pressed Z in Freeworlds to kill my engine and nothing happened. I was so used to flying that way that it took me a bit to adjust to not having it. As a fighter you can use engine kill to fly past a capship while turning your guns towards them and strafe them as you go by the entire length of the hull. It would make fighters more useful against the big ships, being able to keep shooting them without running into them. I think that is what the AI fighters are probably trying to do. If there is no way to get them to change their behavior, then just enable engine kill and see what happens.

I don't think the big capships should be able to use engine kill, since that would make them handle very oddly; but if there is a way to make it work on fighters and shuttles only that would be awesome.
User

Sizer

Rank

Developer

08 Sep 2010, 23:56

Oakland, California, USA

by Sizer » 03 Oct 2012, 07:57

Engine kill has been removed because it does not fit within the flight model portrayed in the Star Wars universe. It will not make an appearance.
no avatar
User

Qi

14 Feb 2010, 14:38

The Netherlands. Timezone: Central Europe.

by Qi » 03 Oct 2012, 08:26

Long ago.
In a galaxy far away.
In a universe that has different laws of physics.

no avatar
User

Lexx

16 Aug 2012, 16:38

by Lexx » 03 Oct 2012, 23:57

So you'd rather have a game breaking bug in the mod instead of drifting even a little bit from how the ships flew in the movies?

If they had the special effects technology back in the 70s to make the ships look more like they were in space, I think they would have done it. They were basically limited to stop motion animation using models.
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 04 Oct 2012, 01:13

Lexx wrote:So you'd rather have a game breaking bug in the mod instead of drifting even a little bit from how the ships flew in the movies?

An AI quirk is now a game breaking bug? Funny how that works. Plus, cap flipping has zilch to do with engine kill (and honestly the link is so tenuous I wonder how you even thought about it).

Lexx wrote:If they had the special effects technology back in the 70s to make the ships look more like they were in space, I think they would have done it. They were basically limited to stop motion animation using models.

If this were the case, Lucas would've happily retconned it or changed it in later movies. He didn't. Know why? Because Star Wars is WWII dogfighting in space, and that's exactly how they wanted it.
Next