Welcome! Get quickstart information here and introduce yourself.
User

berowe

Rank

Galactic Empire

07 Apr 2012, 06:50

Improcco

New Player Tutorial 2016 Edition!

by berowe » 17 Apr 2014, 08:54

Very rough starting Tutorial. Read below for ways to help update it.

FIRST STEPS!
Read and understand all of the server rules! http://www.freeworldstidesofwar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=2402
Understand the server setting and timeline! http://galacticnews.net/
Get the game!: http://www.freeworldstidesofwar.com/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=2096

Want to get in touch with the devs and join the community? Join our Discord Channels! Click on the links below:

*Join the discord chat to meet your fellow faction members, join them, and use voice chat!*
Text Channel: https://discord.gg/0WWiTSVTnEfAzQXm
Voice Channel: https://discord.gg/0WWiTSVTnEf6ZoLQ
For the latest development videos, please check out our YouTube Channel! Or, visit us on the Freeworlds Forums, Facebook, or leave us a comment or question here and the developers will respond! We also have a Steam group that’s updated weekly with our news posts, and our community is always welcoming new gamers!

Important Links and Setup Info

Main site and forums - http://www.freeworldstidesofwar.com Your first stop for server information, troubleshooting, game discussion, and role-play.
Game server site - http://fwtow.net Has in-depth server information, rules, stats, and meta-game features such as base control, trade, and capital ship construction. (UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION as of July 2016)
Creating a character - Adhere to server rules when creating a character (no Duke Skywelkers or offensive names). Until you officially declare for a faction by joining on forums/discord, feel free to create any character/faction and try out the various ships. Once you join a faction through forum/discord they will let you know about their specific naming conventions.

FL and FWTOW Basics - (Updated at patch 78)

FOR THE TLDR GENERATION: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2852

Keymap for FWTOW - http://www.freeworldstidesofwar.com/vie ... =42&t=2988
FACTIONS AND CONQUEST - http://galacticnews.net/h78/?p=937
Planet view - Purchase ships, cargo, and equipment. Certain planets offer missions at the bar.
HUD - Free flight (Esc), Go-to mode (F2), Dock (F3), Formation Flight (F4), Map (F6), Cargo (F7), Chat (Y), Reputation (F8), Radar, Red Hexagon = you are inside a gravity well and will not be able to use hyperspace.
Radar Icons - "!" = Hostiles, Players, Waypoints, and Targeted Objects. "^" = Ships. "Solars" = Stations. "Loot", and "All."
Ship mass effects - The flight model uses a Newtonian system, with your ship carrying on forward momentum until your engine thrust is enough to cause a change in direction. Your listed speed indicates your pace along the forward facing axis of the ship only. Cargo affects the mass of the ship and its maneuverability. These figures are listed and updated in real time as you fly and pickup cargo or expend launcher ammunition.
Faction relations - Your faction has set relations with other major factions. Your personal reputation (F8) can be changed by attacking friendly (green) or neutral (white) targets. This will make that faction appear hostile to you on the radar, and their NPCs (and possibly players) will attack you for being a jerk.

Key Commands - (Updated at patch 78)

*Middle Mouse Button (check bindings in-game) - Action Wheel (hyperspace, visuals/views, gravity wells, chat strings)
Shift-W - Cruise speed
M - Match speed
TAB - Afterburner
R - Target nearest enemy
Enter - Chat.
Y - Chat panel. Click on a channel or individual to chat with them. Once selected here, the channel or person will be your default when you return to the game and press enter. Green Chat = Personal Message. White Text = System chat. Pink Text = Group Chat
B - Loot. You must be in range (chest icon on HUD and 500m or less), and have sufficient cargo space.
I - Invite targeted player to your group.
CTRL-T - Clear your current target

Console Commands - (Updated at patch 78)

%hud gravwells - Shows gravwells in cockpit, turret, and tactical views. Red - you are within this gravwell. Blue - you are outside of this gravwell. This is now also accessed from the Action Wheel command.
/i playername - Invites the player to your group
%hud help - Shows %hud commands
/help - Shows FLhook help commands
/d i - While docked in a capital ship with a hangarbay, shows details about the ship's name, location, and speed

Navigation - (Updated at patch 78)

The System Map - (F6) Shows locations of planets, stations, and jump gates. It also shows the locations of your ship (blue ship icon) and group members (yellow ship icons). Zoom in to target stations, gates, or planets more effectively. Click in an empty area to set a waypoint.
The Universe Map - (F6, Then press Universe Map icon) Shows system connections and allows you to view system maps for systems that you are not currently located in. Your location is indicated by a blue ship icon. Click to zoom into a system.
Tactical View - (Shift-Space) Shows a grid view of your system and known radar contacts. Right clicking will place a waypoint, and holding right click will allow you to move it above or below the system's plane.
Hyperspace - Every ship has a hyperdrive and is able to jump from one point in a system to another point in the same system, or from one system to the neighboring one without using the fixed hyperspace gates. In order to do this, open your map (F6), go to the Universe Map (top left icon) and zoom into the target system by clicking on it. Place a waypoint (ensure this is the ONLY waypoint you have, or that it is the FIRST waypoint of several (AND THAT YOU ARE NOT TARGETING ANYTHING - hit CTRL-T to clear targets) at the location you wish to jump to. Exit the map and press your Action Wheel hotkey (probably middle mouse button, and select hyperspace from the wheel) and your ship will begin to calculate the jump. The calculation speed is dependent on the jump distance. Once the calculation begins, a white hyperspace circle will appear, oriented towards the destination. Wait for the process to reach 100% and type J to jump. You can jump prior to reaching 100% but your hyperspace tunnel will be erratic. If you fall out of the tunnel you will take damage and alert all ships in-system to your location.
Existing Hyperspace "Trade Lanes" - systems have trade lanes between key locations and between adjacent systems. In order to use these, travel to within 10k from the point, orient towards the destination, and wait for the hyperspace tunnel (white circle) to calculate as noted above.
Gravity Wells - Gravity wells are regions that cannot be traveled through using hyperspace. These extend outwards from every planet, and may also be created by certain capital ships. See the Console Command section for commands to make them visible within your current system. Hyperspace jumps must be plotted in a way to avoid them. When jumping between systems, you must take into account the location of gravity wells in both the origin and destination systems. Check the Universe Map orientation to try to estimate their locations based on what direction you will jump out of your origin system, and what direction you will enter your destination system. Once you plot a waypoint and use the action wheel to select hyperspace, your ship will inform you if there is a gravity well preventing your jump. The system map does not currently show gravity well locations.

FAQ

Q: I can't find any players
A: After creating your account and joining a faction, be sure to stay active in the faction forums/teamspeak/chats. Factions often have set days for larger operations throughout the week. Get involved and stay informed!

Q: How do I make money!?
A: Go to various key planets in your faction's space and accept missions at the bar. Additionally there are numerous profitable trade routes. Ask fellow players in the forum/discord for good routes, or discover your own!

Q: I can't kill anything!
A: That's not a question. Group up with other players and try out various weapon systems. Fighter shields recharge quickly, so figure out the best way to stick on someone until they're dead! Use X to turn tighter, M to match speed, and try out varieties of missiles/torpedoes.

Q: I clicked the ship dealer and nothing appeared.
A: Bug, or no ships are for sale at this location.

Q: Hyperdrive says that there is a gravity well in my path, or in my origin system, but %hud gravwells doesn't show it.
A: Most likely a bug. Try a short jump in this area to test. Certain systems may have unplotted/bugged Grav Wells and are a pain to fly through.

Q: My resolution is affected when I alt-tab
A: FL hates alt-tab. This happens most often when in a menu. Close the menu then alt-tab again.

Q: I crash while in hyperspace
A: Report in bug forum.

Q: My ship rolls crazily
A: This is a bug. Use your "roll" keys to counter the spin until it stabilizes.

END DRAFT TUTORIAL/FAQ
Last edited by berowe on 27 Jul 2016, 18:07, edited 25 times in total.
"You're going to have to run faster than that, reb..."
- Reaper comms -

Formerly/Currently:
Avenger-4, Dian Set, Reaper-02, Reaper-04, Reaper-05, Yol-01, The Randy Gamorrean, The Snooty Sullustian, Ithorian Sunset, INV Kalix's Bane, et alia.
User

berowe

Rank

Galactic Empire

Improcco

Re: New Player Tutorial (Draft)

by berowe » 17 Apr 2014, 23:08

Other servers have had an announcement upon login that listed names of active helpers. Maybe people can volunteer here to be listed as one. We know the devs are busy with bugs, and can't be expected to hold players' hands at this stage. These volunteers should also hang out in the IRC and help as they're able.

I will expand upon this thread if there's nothing in the works, but if anyone is willing to contribute with screens/tips/etc please comment below and I'll include it. If you can help, let me know what focus you'll cover, to include editing my sections above, or with other things (advanced hyperdrive operation, etc) so that there's no duplication of effort.

Thanks!
- Reaper comms -

Formerly/Currently:
Avenger-4, Dian Set, Reaper-02, Reaper-04, Reaper-05, Yol-01, The Randy Gamorrean, The Snooty Sullustian, Ithorian Sunset, INV Kalix's Bane, et alia.
no avatar
User

currican

14 Feb 2010, 19:00

by currican » 18 Apr 2014, 00:06

You Sir, are made of awesomesauce. Thanks for volunteering your time in taking some of the load off the team. This guide you wrote will be hijacked in the near future ;)
"does "multiplayer only" mean it has no singleplayer?"

— Random

OMG! Here they come!
User

Sparta

16 Nov 2010, 00:09

cruising around in my T-65B

by Sparta » 18 Apr 2014, 04:29

*fistbumps the guide maker* :D
"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?"

Flight Officer Sachairi Whelan

Any feedback on roleplay, or whatever may be directed to my PM box, thanks. :)
Now running a quaint little blog here.
no avatar
User

w0dk4

14 Feb 2010, 14:33

Germany

by w0dk4 » 19 Apr 2014, 02:01

Awesome work!
User

berowe

Rank

Galactic Empire

Improcco

Re: New Player Tutorial (1.9)

by berowe » 23 Apr 2014, 19:39

Small updates. Hoping for a sticky or a move to the new players thread.
- Reaper comms -

Formerly/Currently:
no avatar
User

w0dk4

14 Feb 2010, 14:33

Germany

by w0dk4 » 24 Apr 2014, 04:21

Moved it to new players forum and stickied it :)
no avatar
User

Daelin

11 Jan 2012, 20:42

Germany

by Daelin » 26 Apr 2014, 08:02

Q: I take damage when flying near a planet
A: Most planets are dockable by flying into the atmosphere. If your ship is damaged or destroyed prior to docking, report it as a bug

If a planet is of a hostile faction (shown as red on your scanners) shouldn't you be unable to dock?
So you would take damage when flying to close to it, whithout that being a bug?
Fleet Admiral Daelin Proudmoore Image
ImageImage
User

berowe

Rank

Galactic Empire

Improcco

by berowe » 26 Apr 2014, 10:10

Right now you can dock anywhere. When that changes I'll adjust the guide.
- Reaper comms -

Formerly/Currently:
User

berowe

Rank

Galactic Empire

Improcco

Re: New Player Tutorial (1.16) AUGUST 2014 Edition!

by berowe » 26 Aug 2014, 15:56

Updated and fixed most of the bad info re: hyperspace, etc.
- Reaper comms -

Formerly/Currently:
Next