Discuss faction and roleplay issues in this out-of-character forum.

Lore And Roleplay Q&A

User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

Lore And Roleplay Q&A

by DarkForce » 26 Mar 2014, 19:06

As we get closer to release, I know many of you will have questions regarding the lore and our roleplaying system, so here's a thread dedicated to those questions and answers!

Whatever questions you have, ask away and we'll answer to the best of our ability.

Further information regarding Lore and RP:

For those of you who haven't seen our dedicated lore site yet, visit Galactic News Network now! It's full of stories about the FW:ToW universe!

We also have a Roleplaying Guide available for download!
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
User

Teradyn

Rank

Galactic Empire Command

27 Mar 2014, 21:06

The Sovereign Nation of Texas

Re: Lore And Roleplay Q&A

by Teradyn » 21 Apr 2014, 22:19

For those of us who may not be up to speed on the EU or may be a bit rusty, would you mind giving us a reading list that relates to FWToW's timeline? A suggested reading order would be welcome too.

User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

by DarkForce » 22 Apr 2014, 04:00

Excellent question. I will preface this by saying this:

You can essentially ignore all EU material set during the Clone Wars and anything set in/around/after 12ABY (our mod's timeline start date), including the New Jedi Order era (Yuuzhan Vong invasion) and beyond. None of those will really add any context to your understanding of our timeline.

That being said, here's a list I'm giving from memory (in chronological reading order):

Shadows of the Empire (relates to a lot of Galactic Civil War era conflicts as well as a lot of good underworld-type stuff)

The Truce At Bakura (doesn't have much to do with our timeline but is set directly after Endor.)

The X-Wing Series:

First four books follow Rogue Squadron and pertain to the New Republic campaign to capture Coruscant and defeat Imperial leader Ysanne Isard.

The next three books follow special-ops unit Wraith Squadron and the New Republic campaign against Imperial Warlord Zsinj.

The Thrawn Trilogy details an organized Imperial counter-attack against the New Republic that nearly succeeds.

The Dark Empire comic series takes place not too long after and depicts a reborn Emperor Palpatine waging war against the New Republic. His campaign is ended in what I believe is early 11ABY.

Jedi Academy Trilogy features Luke Skywalker's attempt to rebuild the Jedi on Yavin IV, Daala resurfaces and strikes at the NR. This ends in mid 11ABY from what I can tell.

The period from mid 11ABY-12ABY is a bit murky in terms of the literature. But we begin breaking from the EU in 11ABY, so after the Jedi Academy trilogy, the Galactic News Network site pretty much picks up where the galaxy currently stands.
User

Vamachara

11 Apr 2014, 04:26

omnipresent

by Vamachara » 22 Apr 2014, 06:09

I have a question;

In the downloadable roleplay guide it goes over the tiers of freeworlds canon and it describes tier III as happening on the server.

Is it that any RP threads started in there must be related to something that actually was played out on the server, or can you set a story that takes place in the freeworlds universe such as a story that takes place on a planet or station?
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

by DarkForce » 22 Apr 2014, 06:30

The guide does need to be updated a bit, as I wrote it quite a long time before the RP community started growing.

The way it is now, Tier III or Player Canon is primarily for server-related events that don't affect the overall gameworld, but it is also a good place for low-level RP threads/stories that are relatively small in scope as you suggest.

There is a bit of crossover between Tier II and III, but it is still early days so we're feeling things out as we go along.
User

Teradyn

Rank

Galactic Empire Command

27 Mar 2014, 21:06

The Sovereign Nation of Texas

by Teradyn » 22 Apr 2014, 18:27

Thanks for the list, DarkForce. I have heard that the Truce at Bakura is particularly bad, as well as most titles written by Kevin J. Anderson. Do any of the following books in your list rely on any info from that one?

Also, what is your opinion on Anderson? The Jedi Academy trilogy you listed was written by him as well, I think. I haven't read them nor the Truce at Bakura and wonder if the complaints were due to treatment of the universe, writing style or something else.

Would you recommend the 8th and 9th books in the x-wing series and if so, where would they fit in the order of the list?

User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

by DarkForce » 22 Apr 2014, 19:51

The 8th and 9th X-Wing books come after our timeline, so those can be ignored.

I, Jedi features a main character from the X-Wing books and would fit into our timeline as well, because it happens during and directly after Jedi Academy.

Anderson did write the Jedi Academy trilogy. I didn't particularly like it. I much prefer the scope and tone of the X-Wing books and the Thrawn Trilogy. Still, it's EU so we can't completely ignore it, and it did play a role in setting up the current political situation.
User

Hobbie

Rank

Village Idiot

03 Mar 2010, 00:42

Roll 1d20 for a pub name.

by Hobbie » 24 Apr 2014, 07:20

DarkForce wrote:The 8th and 9th X-Wing books come after our timeline, so those can be ignored.

Can I just clarify this part?

Book 8 happens immediately after the end of The Last Command, so it's still worth a read.

Book 9 is in about 13 ABY, so it's just out of the timeline. A shame, as it's the best book in the X-Wing series.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

by DarkForce » 24 Apr 2014, 07:55

You're right. I meant 9 and 10. Adumar and Mercy Kill.