Discussion related to the mod that doesnt fit in any other forum.

Shield drain on disconnects

User

Technogeist

18 May 2014, 03:24

The Land of Hope & Glory

Shield drain on disconnects

by Technogeist » 01 Feb 2015, 16:09

Alright, I get why this is in the game. As a deterrent to hitting F1 during player interaction.

But, honestly now, is it doing that? At the moment it's just annihilating trading efforts day in day out and annoying AAs. Can we get rid of this and find another solution? Perhaps have the offending ship hang in space for three minutes with no shields before being allowed back online? It just happens too often between the client crashing and the server going down.

As a note, currently cargo transports take about 20 minutes to regain shields once they're out. And if hostile NPCs are about while you have cargo, your choices include dying horribly or falling out of a small jump and losing 1000 units worth of cargo. It's devastating. Especially if the person who loaded you up in the first place is gone. Can't even try the route again. It's pretty bad for smaller freighters as well.

Please?

Edit: As a side note, if say, a GE player in an interceptor loses connection in a system like, say, Coruscant, there is a very real chance that they can be oneshotted by a critical mass of rebel NPCs as soon as they log back in. I can often lose hull to that kind of thing before being able to engage cruise and leg it to wait for the shields. I'm sure rebs might have that kind of trouble too although to a lesser extent, I think.
Last edited by Technogeist on 01 Feb 2015, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Line Captain Sena Dorn
IFV.Eternal_Crusader
Current Crusade Status:
Underway
Casualties: 8237
ImageImage
no avatar
User

Daelin

11 Jan 2012, 20:42

Germany

Re: Shield drain on disconnects

by Daelin » 01 Feb 2015, 17:21

Sadly I have to agree.

While I fully understand why the shields get drained to stop people just hitting F1, I'd rather have them be stuck in space for 3 or 5 min. (Or even myself be stuck for up to 5 min unable to relog, if I get my shields back after that.)

As Technogeist pointed out, it especially hurts on ships like the Type H, Type K and Container Transport. Shields for these ships take over 20 min (or close to it) to get back online. And that only works if you are not fighting NPCs, if you happen to stumble on some Pirate Y-Wings you might not get back shields for long enough to get into the jump. Not to mention depending on what system you jump to you might end up with NPCs shooting you again.

Yesterday we had to stop a convoy of 3 big traders from the GE and we will have to wait for an AA to fix our shields again. Until then we are stuck in the middle of nowhere and can't relog without risking certain death and the loss of the cargo. :(

So it would be really great if the matter could be handled different in the future, please.
Fleet Admiral Daelin Proudmoore Image
ImageImage
no avatar
User

Rico

02 Jan 2011, 17:23

Germany

by Rico » 01 Feb 2015, 18:58

I do suffer from the same problem on both my type h and the mobquet. While discouraging the use of F1ing out in space is good the current solution is not working at all. It takes away play fun, at least for me. I do see the point with this method as its done on other mods aswell, but as daelin mentioned the shield recharge times here and the current server/clientside crashes make the shield loss just annoying for trader.
I do agree that another solution (even if only temporary) would be much appreciated.
User

Waren_Xim

Rank

Corellian Protectorate

10 Apr 2012, 01:28

Missouri, USA or some other planet

by Waren_Xim » 01 Feb 2015, 21:07

Would it be possible for the shields to drop to something like 10%?

That little shield should be relatively easy for a player to take down but allow for a fighting chance against NPCs, in the event of a crash/network problem.

Or allow for some quick way to get the shield recovered such as a shield repair/recovery droid. :geek:
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 01 Feb 2015, 22:02

The issue is being taken under advisement. When I have anything to report I will let you know.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.