Discussion related to the mod that doesnt fit in any other forum.

Question time!!

no avatar
User

MystacX

Rank

Site Admin

18 Feb 2010, 13:09

Question time!!

by MystacX » 21 Mar 2014, 08:25

So now that we've got our forums in working order, I'm sure you've all got a lot of questions. Ask them here and I'll try and answer them. Of course, certain things we won't reveal on purpose :)

Ask away!
“Hmm! Adventure. Hmmpf! Excitement. A Jedi craves not these things.”
-Yoda
no avatar
User

Daelin

11 Jan 2012, 20:42

Germany

Re: Question time!!

by Daelin » 21 Mar 2014, 09:11

Are there any limitations to cargo aside from passenger / non-passenger?
You said we would need a certain equipment for a freighter to carry passengers. But is there also some special equipment needed for other cargo?
Say for example for raw-materials gained from mining?

About mining:
What ships are currently intended for mining?
Fleet Admiral Daelin Proudmoore Image
ImageImage
no avatar
User

Visazo

04 Apr 2012, 14:04

Germany

by Visazo » 21 Mar 2014, 11:39

let's say I want to join a military faction and fly a specific ship. As it seems there will be a squadron system in place, probably with each squad flying a specific ship. I guess there will be (squad-)unassigned pilots too? If yes, how limited will their ship-choice be?
no avatar
User

MystacX

Rank

Site Admin

by MystacX » 21 Mar 2014, 11:46

Visazo wrote:let's say I want to join a military faction and fly a specific ship. As it seems there will be a squadron system in place, probably with each squad flying a specific ship. I guess there will be (squad-)unassigned pilots too? If yes, how limited will their ship-choice be?

This will be up to each faction's leadership.

Daelin wrote:Are there any limitations to cargo aside from passenger / non-passenger?
You said we would need a certain equipment for a freighter to carry passengers. But is there also some special equipment needed for other cargo?
Say for example for raw-materials gained from mining?

About mining:
What ships are currently intended for mining?

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you yet as the mining mechanic is slightly unfinished and will probably be added later during beta.
-Yoda
no avatar
User

seib

11 Feb 2014, 16:08

by seib » 23 Mar 2014, 01:43

My question is in regards to the Jedi order. Are there any requirements to joining this faction? If so what are they?
no avatar
User

tornadojoe87

23 Mar 2014, 06:53

by tornadojoe87 » 23 Mar 2014, 07:05

hello im wondering if what I saw in your demo video was "roll control" ? it was just one thing that I kinda missed while playing freelancer.

and off the top of my head will there be any races? or leveling up? just curious, thanks :)
no avatar
User

MystacX

Rank

Site Admin

by MystacX » 23 Mar 2014, 13:46

seib wrote:My question is in regards to the Jedi order. Are there any requirements to joining this faction? If so what are they?

Alright, so the Jedi (and the Sith) will be severely restricted. This is because these players will be overpowered. The situation we're imagining is that a Force User fighter will easily win any one-on-one encounter and probably a two-on-one. These will be 'hero' characters. They will have major impacts on whichever theater they appear on. These fighters will have 'force powers' that'll cloak them from sight or sensors using the Force, be harder to hit, allow them to have missiles explode before being hit and a few others which I don't have details for right now.
"That sounds awesome! I'm going to be a Sith Lord or a Jedi Master". That's great, you're welcome to apply. However you have to realize that because of the above, membership into a Force User faction will be severely limited. Requirements for joining include (but are not limited to) roleplay ability, maturity, ability to follow the rules, ability for story-telling. Being in a Force User faction will be one of the hardest things you can achieve.
"Okay, I got accepted after I applied and now I'm going to be a Jedi Master!" No. I'm sorry but we're not even thinking of having a player-controlled in-game Masters out on the field in the first 3-4 months after we release (not beta, but release). NPC masters can of course be used for story-telling or training purposes, but there will not be a player with Master-level abilities in the game for a good while.

An addendum I just want to add is that we may have a level of entry into the force user factions that doesn't impact regular gameplay and roleplay as much, but that hasn't been fully decided on yet.

I hope this answered your question, if you have more, let me know.
The source for most of this information can be found in the AMA from last year: https://soundcloud.com/donato-moscone/f ... -sizer-and

tornadojoe87 wrote:hello im wondering if what I saw in your demo video was "roll control" ? it was just one thing that I kinda missed while playing freelancer.

and off the top of my head will there be any races? or leveling up? just curious, thanks :)

Yes, we have roll-control. We have tried to fully implement the flight mechanics from the XvT series. Of course that's hard to do without a joystick but we believe we've hit the sweet spot and Sizer is quite proud of it. :)

As for Races and Leveling, not in the sense that you're speaking of. I mean this isn't an MMO in the traditional sense of WoW. You'll be able to 'create a character' on paper and he or she (or it) can be whatever race there is in our timeline. For example a Wookiiee, or a Corellian human would be okay, but a pure-blood Sith would not because they aren't around in the era we are focusing on.
Same with levels, there will be a 'level' indicator in freelancer, but only because we can't get rid of it. It's embedded in Freelancer. Think of this more as a skill-based simulator then an RPG or MMO.
-Yoda
no avatar
User

Novarek

05 May 2013, 04:19

by Novarek » 23 Mar 2014, 16:47

MystacX wrote:
Alright, so the Jedi (and the Sith) will be severely restricted. This is because these players will be overpowered. The situation we're imagining is that a Force User fighter will easily win any one-on-one encounter and probably a two-on-one. These will be 'hero' characters. They will have major impacts on whichever theater they appear on. These fighters will have 'force powers' that'll cloak them from sight or sensors using the Force, be harder to hit, allow them to have missiles explode before being hit and a few others which I don't have details for right now.

Only the Jedi & Sith have special ability or other factions also have some ?
Like controlling the power level of the sub-system of our ship, less shield and more power to weapon for exemple.
no avatar
User

MystacX

Rank

Site Admin

by MystacX » 23 Mar 2014, 18:19

Novarek wrote:
MystacX wrote:

Only the Jedi & Sith have special ability or other factions also have some ?
Like controlling the power level of the sub-system of our ship, less shield and more power to weapon for exemple.

That is correct, only the Jedi & Sith will have 'special' abilities (which would be the Force, duhh). Don't worry, they will be a very small group of people. As said, consider a Jedi or a Sith as a "Hero" character.
I'm not too sure about sub-systems. I'm reasonably sure we don't have those in the game. Freelancer doesn't support those kind of things.
-Yoda
no avatar
User

Novarek

05 May 2013, 04:19

by Novarek » 23 Mar 2014, 18:46

Ok so i have another question.

If i remember the note of a very old post of FriendlyFire, some ship will be unlocked depending of the reputation we have, this is correct ?

If yes, have you some exemple to share ?
And what about the ship flayable by every faction and the "neutral" ship, they will be directly available without prerequisites?
Next