Technical problems or help regarding the mod.

Critical Error at launch

Moderator: Developers

no avatar
User

Guligul

01 Jul 2017, 09:23

Critical Error at launch

by Guligul » 01 Jul 2017, 09:28

Hello,

I have installed Freeworlds on a Freelancer clean installation.
After all updates, when I launch Freeworlds, a pop-up tells me that a critical error has occured and the launcher will closed.

Inside Critical Error log, I have this content:

Critical error:
Exception: [FileNotFoundException] Could not load file or assembly 'UacHelpers.UserAccountControl.dll' or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found.
at Freeworlds_Launcher.MainLogic.StartGameOnline()
at Freeworlds_Launcher.MainLogic.GUI_Play()
at Freeworlds_Launcher.MainWindow.PlayButton_Click(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
at Freeworlds_Launcher.App.Main()

Do you have any idea of what may be causing this error?

Many thanks for your help
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

Re: Critical Error at launch

by FriendlyFire » 01 Jul 2017, 15:59

First step would be, go to the folder where that log showed up (C:\Program Files (x86)\Freeworlds - Tides of War is the default path) and look if UacHelpers.UserAccountControl.dll is actually there.
no avatar
User

by Guest » 01 Jul 2017, 17:08

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.
Of course the file is here, with the correct name.
I have already tried to uninstall the mod and FL, do a proper install, same issue.

I have also give all permissions on that file to all user accounts, same error.
I do not know what to do more...
no avatar
User

Guligul

by Guligul » 01 Jul 2017, 17:13

Sorry, reply has been posted under Guest !
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

by FriendlyFire » 01 Jul 2017, 22:35

Hmm. Considering the launcher itself works fine aside from that one particular dependency, I'd look at two things:

A) Make sure your antivirus isn't blocking the file from being loaded. Might want to disable it outright to check.

B) Try installing in a different location, like within your Documents folder, just to make sure it's not a strange permission issue.
no avatar
User

Guligul

by Guligul » 02 Jul 2017, 11:05

Hello,

I have tried both solutions, same issue.
Does anyones ever experience the same issue?
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

by FriendlyFire » 02 Jul 2017, 19:56

The issue has arisen in the past, but resolution steps tend to differ for whatever reason. We've never been able to get a clear cause for this.

If you're comfortable with somewhat more advanced computer knowledge, I'd have something you could try which will hopefully help me diagnose this issue.

First, download Process Monitor. Make sure as little as possible is going on on your computer (this is to reduce the size of the log file). Run the program and just click OK on the Filter window if it appears. The program will start collecting events, so you'll want to quickly start the FW launcher and try to start the game. As soon as the launcher crashes, go back to Process Monitor and press Ctrl+E to stop event collection.

Then, select File -> Save, make sure you select "All events" to save, leave the format as "Native Process Monitor Format (PML)" and save the file, then upload it somewhere convenient for you (Dropbox, Google Drive, Mega, whatever) and send me a link to it privately (PM or Discord).

You may also want to compress the PML file to save on filesize. A ~200mb log turns into a ~20mb zip, so it's a net gain.