Technical problems or help regarding the mod.

HOWTO: Troubleshooting problems

Moderator: Developers

no avatar
User

currican

14 Feb 2010, 19:00

HOWTO: Troubleshooting problems

by currican » 15 Apr 2014, 21:24

Ok, I know ya'll ain't gunna like this but we want to rule out any installation process issues:

Lets start from the beginning as to not skip any steps. First make sure your graphics card is DX9 compatible. Please don't mouse over and say "bah, I know how to do this." Lets begin:

1. In the start menu, open Microsoft games -> Freelancer folder and open "Examine My Account ID" and take note of your Player ID.

2. Uninstall:

2a. The Mod - From the Launcher, go to setup, select manual tasks, select both Delete Intalled Files and Downloaded files.

2b. Freelancer - Use Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel

3. Run a registry cleaning software like CCleaner.

4. Restart computer. (Don't skip this)

5. Reinstall Freelancer ONLY. Not the 1.1 patch nor the mod yet. (nor the no-CD fix, the mod runs without CD)

These next steps are important:

6. Make sure you have the latest driver for you graphics card.

6a. For NVIDIA Users:

-Go to NVIDIA settings.
-In adjust image settings with preview under 3D settings, make sure "Let application decide" is selected.
-Under Manage 3D settings make a Program Setting for Freelancer.exe and use default settings.
---You can also add one for Freelancer.exe if you wish.
-Make sure and turn off any forced setting like AA and Vertical Sync or set to Application-controlled.
-Turn off SLI if you have it.
-Save/Apply.

6b. For AMD Users.
I pay extra for reliability, ease of use and compatibility so I don't have much knowledge about AMD :P So here's a cut and paste from another thread:
FriendlyFire wrote:I'm going to blame this on AMD's pitiful drivers and control panel.

Open up Catalyst Control Center and look for the 3D options. Make sure every option that can be is set to "application controlled" or something along those lines. Also look for an option called "mipmaps" and/or "Catalyst AI" and make sure both are set to maximum quality. I've not used CCC in a while so I'm not sure what the options are anymore, but one of those should let you get the right graphics.

7. Install the launcher in a different location than that of Freelancer. The launcher will find the Freelancer install and make another directory for Freeworlds.

8. Even though it's automatic, make sure you have the latest version of the launcher and mod files.

9. Make exceptions in your Antivirus and firewall for Freeworlds.exe.

10. Assign admin rights to Freeworlds.exe.

11. Launch and please report back here if this helps or not.
"does "multiplayer only" mean it has no singleplayer?"

— Random

OMG! Here they come!
no avatar
User

currican

14 Feb 2010, 19:00

Re: HOWTO: Troubleshooting problems

by currican » 12 Jul 2014, 01:04

Work around for windows 8.1 Error

Sent: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:52 pm
To: currican
I managed to fix a prolbem no one else has metioned. My game would go to the starting splash screen, then crash. I enabled Driect play and Net 3.5 and bam, worked.
"does "multiplayer only" mean it has no singleplayer?"

— Random

OMG! Here they come!
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

Re: HOWTO: Troubleshooting problems

by FriendlyFire » 12 Jul 2014, 02:22

More explicitly, the fix is to go in Control Panel, then Programs and Features.

There, select "Turn Windows features on or off" in the sidebar on the left and make sure "DirectPlay" is selected under "Legacy components".