Anything regarding the official server.
no avatar
User

Rogue

15 Feb 2010, 04:29

New Zealand

Re: Petition for a Great Friend.

by Rogue » 26 Aug 2014, 11:19

Things that went on behind the scenes. Quick to anger. Qualities that leaders shouldn't have. The fact that Sizer had warned him multiple times is only the start of it.

Need I mention the numerous times in the Leaders Channel that he could not let something drop? Not sure if you were around then at that James. Toxic, is what it was.

-----

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but:
Morale of both factions as all-time low

How many times has this been echoed in the last 3 months? If not including the rest of the mods previous history, it's always found a way to pick itself up.

If the people of this mod want this mod to last, then they will put the time in themselves and do their contribution. You cannot pin the life of the mod on one member of the community and expect it to be 'just fine'. It doesn't work like that.
Cosmic wrote:I know a lot of things and I know people more than anything else. I also know what else Sizer uses the wooden spoon for.
no avatar
User

Romer

21 Apr 2014, 21:37

UK

by Romer » 26 Aug 2014, 12:50

Rogue wrote:Things that went on behind the scenes. Quick to anger. Qualities that leaders shouldn't have. The fact that Sizer had warned him multiple times is only the start of it.

Need I mention the numerous times in the Leaders Channel that he could not let something drop? Not sure if you were around then at that James. Toxic, is what it was.

-----

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but:
Morale of both factions as all-time low

How many times has this been echoed in the last 3 months? If not including the rest of the mods previous history, it's always found a way to pick itself up.

If the people of this mod want this mod to last, then they will put the time in themselves and do their contribution. You cannot pin the life of the mod on one member of the community and expect it to be 'just fine'. It doesn't work like that.

What's in the past is in the past. You know I haven't agreed with the way Daelin has handled or responded to things in the past but over the past month at least he has striven to nurture the server to life. Activity and then fun of both the NR and GE have been an equal and primary concern for him.

He's encouraged the factions to sit in team speak together even when fighting it out on the server. He was a driving force behind the community meeting happening where he primarily wanted to speak with the NR, although it didn't turn out like that.

You're right you can't pin everything on one man, but a good active leader helps immeasurably. They drive things in as you proved when you were a fleet leader back when I first switched to the empire all those years ago.

Whilst vastly improved, neither you or I should criticise heavily for being quick to anger. Whilst he may push ideas for longer than the admin like, it's because he's passionate about them. Whilst staff privelidge may apply, I'd say they can be just as quick to anger.

Edit: cleared up some phone autocorrects and typos. And finish up by saying even if daelin is guilty of the charges posed, he's kept it confined to more private channels as most players haven't witnessed it judging on the evidence here.

But the ban is what it is I guess.
no avatar
User

Foxtrot

12 Aug 2014, 18:50

by Foxtrot » 26 Aug 2014, 15:23

+1 Daelin was why I stayed after I first put my toe in the water. He's one of the few who are constantly on for some pew pew action.
FIGHTER CORPS COMMANDER
WOLF-LEADER
User

Caius

Rank

New Republic Command

24 Jun 2014, 02:34

by Caius » 27 Aug 2014, 13:46

+1
Daelin pushes the server activity and server RP. Furthermore, he talks to people of all factions in a very friendly manner. I don't like seeing him banned for such a long time.
Air Marshal Kyle Arkano
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 27 Aug 2014, 17:11

I don't think anyone here is questioning the value of an active, involved leader. If Daelin was that, that's a great quality. But that isn't the problem.

The problem is a lack of respect when addressing the issues he's had with the mod and the decisions the development team has made.

If you've followed the development of the game and seen how the dev team has interacted with players in the past, you'll know that we're open to communication and discussion and we conduct it in a respectful manner. It's impossible for everyone to be happy with every design choice, stat change, patch update, etc. But when we discuss it openly and respectfully, even when we disagree, it builds trust between the players and the devs.

Name calling, swearing, hostility and impatience are at the opposite end of that spectrum. I've seen it firsthand from Daelin on multiple occasions, which made it basically impossible for me to get my point across.

In this community, we don't stoop to that level. We don't tolerate that kind of behavior. We strive for honest, open discourse and level-headedness. Granted, we're not perfect at it, but it should be our goal.

I personally don't believe we should let the opposite attitude go unchecked and allow that sort of thinking to spread, even if the person saying those things has some admirable qualities.

This was explained to him, in no uncertain detail on multiple occasions, in the very same manner I'm explaining this to you now: without anger, without vitriol, just open and honest.

I'll ask you this: Would you let someone like that in your own personal life continue to berate you without end, even after you've explained your position repeatedly?

No one wanted this, on the dev team or otherwise. There was no secret meeting with any snickering laughter or twitching ban-hammer trigger finger. We're all really disappointed by this situation, but allowing toxicity to exist within the community sucks life out of the development process and makes it harder for us to make this game better for you.

But we will find a way to move forward without furthering a hostile environment. Of that, I am sure.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
User

Cosmic

08 Dec 2011, 03:20

by Cosmic » 27 Aug 2014, 18:37

Awwww Sizer, un ban him. You know for a fact I have done worse. I don't even know what he did but I am sure I have done worse. Shit happens, forgive.
no avatar
User

Rogue

New Zealand

by Rogue » 27 Aug 2014, 21:31

Lets provide an example as well - Cosmic you're barred from this because you're probably the only person I know that'd be perfect with this ;P
You have a kid. Lets say he's 3 years old. His name his Lil'Cosmic. Now Lil'Cosmic is a little shit/devil. You have friends come around and Lil'Cosmic comes around, swearing his mouth off, trying to pull down your pants and generally just embarrassing you. What do you do? You warn him, tell him off and if need be - discipline. Soon he'll get the message (Pretty soon if discipline is involved).

Although the actions aren't the same, the same lesson needs to be taught. Daelin had multiple warnings - as DF pointed out - and he did not adhere to those. Adult or not, a warning's a warning. If people can't handle the limits and don't like the result when you keep pushing the boundaries, poppa' Sizer is gonna come in with this big ol wooden spoon and discipline some kids.
Cosmic wrote:I know a lot of things and I know people more than anything else. I also know what else Sizer uses the wooden spoon for.
User

Rogueleeder

Rank

New Republic

04 Dec 2011, 23:33

Nova Scotia Canada

by Rogueleeder » 27 Aug 2014, 23:09

Rogue wrote:Lets provide an example as well - Cosmic you're barred from this because you're probably the only person I know that'd be perfect with this ;P
You have a kid. Lets say he's 3 years old. His name his Lil'Cosmic. Now Lil'Cosmic is a little shit/devil. You have friends come around and Lil'Cosmic comes around, swearing his mouth off, trying to pull down your pants and generally just embarrassing you. What do you do? You warn him, tell him off and if need be - discipline. Soon he'll get the message (Pretty soon if discipline is involved).

Although the actions aren't the same, the same lesson needs to be taught. Daelin had multiple warnings - as DF pointed out - and he did not adhere to those. Adult or not, a warning's a warning. If people can't handle the limits and don't like the result when you keep pushing the boundaries, poppa' Sizer is gonna come in with this big ol wooden spoon and discipline some kids.

Which is illegal in your country Rogue just saying ;) I lived with you Kiwis
Chief Adviser to New Republic Command

Retired from combat operations

Side Positions:
Lore Staff
Admin Assistant
Blame RL he wasn't here enough
no avatar
User

Rogue

New Zealand

by Rogue » 27 Aug 2014, 23:12

Lolz. Discipline and smacking a kid beyond relief is slightly different. I got disciplined while growing up and I know people my age that didn't. Mate, I'm glad I did because those people aren't going anywhere with their lives, some of them are already at rock-bottom unfortunately.

Discipline being a slap on the ass, fyi. Not saying I condone Child Violence.
User

Cosmic

08 Dec 2011, 03:20

by Cosmic » 27 Aug 2014, 23:21

Rogue wrote:Discipline being a slap on the ass

Smacking dat ass ain't always done because someone has been bad.... However, as someone who has used the ban hammer I say this. We all have bad days, weeks, and years. Using the spoon/hammer is sometimes the only way to get someone to STFU up long enough to be able to explain your reasoning for going in a certain direction. Then there needs to be a cooling off period for all then hugs and then shooting again. It usually takes a few days for folks to chill.

I know a lot of things and I know people more than anything else. I also know what else Sizer uses the wooden spoon for.
PreviousNext