SSD construction in Fondor

no avatar
User

Venator97

07 Apr 2012, 11:44

SSD construction in Fondor

by Venator97 » 28 Apr 2014, 14:40

While exploring Fondor I encountered what appeared to be an Executor-Class Super Star Destroyer. After a quick look on wookiepedia, I found no correlation with any known cannon SSDs. All executor classes (with the exception of the reaper which was completed before operation shadow hand) were either destroyed by 12 ABY or not constructed at Fondor.

After discussion with a few other players, we were wondering, is this simply an oversight or intentional with the possibility of seeing it implemented as a combat capable capital?
User

Teradyn

Rank

Galactic Empire Command

27 Mar 2014, 21:06

The Sovereign Nation of Texas

Re: SSD construction in Fondor

by Teradyn » 28 Apr 2014, 15:33

I am sure DarkForce will be able to answer as to why this ship is in Fondor. As for whether we will see it active, I remember a dev (Sizer I believe) mentioning that there is no way technically to implement even a scaled down version of the hardpoints on this ship. Currently there is a limit of 32 weapons per ship as I recall. From Wookipedia:
Wookipedia wrote:The Executor-class had over 5,000 weapons emplacements, including turbolasers, assault concussion missile launchers, and ion cannons. With warships being able to direct all power to their energy weapons, the Executor-class had at least 100 times more firepower than an Imperial-class destroyer.

If you look at the specs on an ISD-1 class Star Destroyer you will find:
Wookipedia wrote:Dual heavy turbolaser turrets (6), Dual heavy ion cannon turrets (2), Quad heavy turbolasers (2), Triple medium turbolasers (3), Medium turbolasers (2), Taim & Bak XX-9 heavy turbolasers (60), Borstel NK-7 ion cannons (60), Phylon Q7 tractor beam projectors (10)

If the ISD-1 in game has the max 32 weapon hardpoints, then that is a 32/125 total weapon emplacement ratio. To implement the Executor class Star Dreadnought, there would be around a 32/5000 ratio. Even if there were some trickery possible to get that down to double, i.e. 64/5000, there is no way that number of guns would do justice.

Additionally, anyone who has seen this ship in game should realize that it is way undersized (possibly by half). Sizer mentioned the possibility to increase the model size in game to be more accurate, but still only as a set piece.

User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 28 Apr 2014, 16:38

Our timeline splits from EU canon right after Pellaeon launches an offensive against New Republic-held Orinda.

He wins that offensive, and in our lore he goes on to press his advantage to retake the Fondor and Bilbringi shipyards. The SSD Reaper is present at all three engagements and takes heavy damage in the process.

The SSD you see in Fondor is the Reaper undergoing refits and repairs.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.
User

Teradyn

Rank

Galactic Empire Command

27 Mar 2014, 21:06

The Sovereign Nation of Texas

by Teradyn » 28 Apr 2014, 16:43

DarkForce, do you intend to change the in-game info card on that ship to reflect this? It states something to the effect that it was being built but never was finished due to resource shortfalls.

no avatar
User

currican

14 Feb 2010, 19:00

by currican » 28 Apr 2014, 17:01

Teradyn wrote:
DarkForce, do you intend to change the in-game info card on that ship to reflect this? It states something to the effect that it was being built but never was finished due to resource shortfalls.

Could you suggest it in the infocard section of the forums for Bob to see :)
"does "multiplayer only" mean it has no singleplayer?"

— Random

OMG! Here they come!
User

DarkForce

Rank

Developer

16 Feb 2010, 17:46

by DarkForce » 28 Apr 2014, 17:40

Teradyn wrote:DarkForce, do you intend to change the in-game info card on that ship to reflect this? It states something to the effect that it was being built but never was finished due to resource shortfalls.

You'll find that many of the infocards have incorrect/outdated/placeholder information. A great deal of the infocards were written before I had the major lore planned out, and we're still in the process of updating them. Faction infocards are also somewhat inaccurate at the moment.

The short answer is yes, we intend to adjust all the infocards to align with our lore and timeline. However, I can't say for sure how long that will take. One of the best ways for us to update that info is for players to let us know when something doesn't sound right, so kudos to anyone who can point out those errors!

In a more broad sense, however - if you're looking for info on the current state of the galaxy, Galactic News Network is the go-to source.
Blame DarkForce, he wasn't clear about it.