General Mod & Server News
User

Technogeist

18 May 2014, 03:24

The Land of Hope & Glory

Re: Official feedback thread

by Technogeist » 31 May 2015, 14:43

The angle the chase camera turns at with the ship is fine for getting around, but using the chase camera during combat with capital ships is practically a sin unless pursuing someone, so it's a pretty minor thing, imo. Works fine as is.

Also what Daelin said, I used to use the turret tracking cam for 1v1 engagements (or when lazy) where I only needed to see the one enemy ship during combat. Advantage was that your accuracy was never shot by the camera angle (For example, looking down on an enemy who is on plane with you by zooming out would cause you to shoot over them when targeting their reticule, etc). Would enjoy that coming back, unless it causes problems. Not super necessary, but nice.
Line Captain Sena Dorn
IFV.Eternal_Crusader
Current Crusade Status:
Underway
Casualties: 8237
ImageImage
no avatar
User

Tommacool

11 Jun 2015, 08:14

by Tommacool » 11 Jun 2015, 09:08

Hi, I am a noob. I just tested it. Love how the game, look and feel. It's like a Star Wars "time machine".
But every time I join there are zero people on the server and no missions available. I also get thrown out of the server every hour almost (lost connection).
Can you release a singleplayer version of the game?
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

by Kalis » 11 Jun 2015, 14:11

The main issue with single-player is that a lot of the newer functions and elements you see in this mod are tied to the main server, they aren't part of the hard installation and can't work that way without a ton of effort that is currently being directed at improving and finishing the mod first.

Not only that but even then a lot of things just can't work on a single-player version, including the dynamic economy, influence system (capturing bases), and capital ship construction.

No missions isn't because it is online, they are essentially in the process of being replaced, which you can read about here: http://freeworldstidesofwar.com/forum/v ... =43&t=2964
Also, some of that info is slightly outdated, but I meant to just point you at the info regarding the AI Director. Coincidentally another thing that probably won't work in single-player.

An actual dev can probably explain it in more detail but this is from a player's point of view for you.
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

by FriendlyFire » 21 Jun 2015, 08:08

We've implemented missions in a few border systems, but the current random mission setup is very temporary and doesn't really work with the Star Wars universe.

Lack of players is unfortunately partly out of our control. We'll be doing a media push once we have the pivot done, but we can't afford to do one with so many mechanics missing.

And yes, singleplayer is unlikely to happen. A standalone local MP server is something we want to do, but it'll be a severely cut down version of the main server because of integration with multiple other systems like the GameCP which powers most of our metagame and special mechanics. It's also a ways off release, since we want to polish up the main server first and get people testing there instead of on their own.
Previous