User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

15 Feb 2010, 16:14

Re: Official feedback thread

by FriendlyFire » 03 Aug 2014, 04:21

No additional slots, it's buggy.

You can turn off each tip with Shift+K. I don't plan on adding an option to shut all tips off.
no avatar
User

Vader

03 Oct 2014, 19:39

Fort Collins, CO

by Vader » 03 Oct 2014, 22:35

Hey there. I'm new here and thought I'd chime in with my $0.02 for my first 3 days playing around. Although this might seem odd (and I'm certainly not your "casual" gamer), I rather like the vast and intimidating galaxy that I was thrown into. While there could still stand to be more direction physically in the game, it's kinda nice to be left to my own devices to do things.

Night #2 of testing I still couldn't find any "work," but I did see some commodities on a space station that were people needing a lift to a planet, so I picked up some travelers. Now, I did get stuck out in the middle of space with a long journey since I missed a hyperspace lane and couldn't seem to plot a jump out of my predicament (gravity well was always in the way), but I kinda thought that while a bit frustrating was cool and unique--it's like real life! As we say in my Edge of the Empire game, "That's the Star Wars..." (...and I think my problem with jumping mostly stemmed from ignorance of the system, anyway.)

I've really not had any technical problems so far that I can tell. Just wonderful wonderful work. Really, the only thing I'd suggest is more in-game direction. I'm also naive to the Group/Player CP thing and plan on checking that out tonight. Yes, I jumped onto the game server before I even registered on this site, and I definitely have not yet joined the TS channel. I doubt I'm alone in that sequence of actions.

At any rate--a wonderful mod. I'm hoping to discover more soon so that I can give proper feedback and help keep this thing alive. Very excited to have discovered this lil gem.

Cheers!

Vader
I am Darth Vader.
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

by FriendlyFire » 03 Oct 2014, 23:17

We've been trying to figure out ways to guide players - the tips in the top-left corner is one such way. It's just hard to find the right balance between hand-holding and letting people experiment.

We'd like to setup an in-game browser so you can go through a help section to read up on mechanics in more details.
no avatar
User

Vader

03 Oct 2014, 19:39

Fort Collins, CO

by Vader » 03 Oct 2014, 23:54

FriendlyFire wrote:We've been trying to figure out ways to guide players - the tips in the top-left corner is one such way.

I'd have been completely lost without those tips. They are a great way for new players to figure out how to use the in-game mechanics.

FriendlyFire wrote:It's just hard to find the right balance between hand-holding and letting people experiment.

I think you are awfully close. Some type of opening paragraph or two splash page about what's "live" in the game would be a great addition.

FriendlyFire wrote:We'd like to setup an in-game browser so you can go through a help section to read up on mechanics in more details.

This would be a terrific feature.

Keep up the great work--really really great work--and thank you for the reply!
I am Darth Vader.
no avatar
User

Rebel_Storm

17 Sep 2014, 17:40

Either Ohio or Corellia...definately Corellia

by Rebel_Storm » 04 Oct 2014, 02:08

It would be helpful if we could see the grav wells. The grav well tab on the middle mouse doesn't seem to do anything.

And maybe if there was some way to plot more complex hyperspace jumps for faster trans-sector travel (around, over, and under various obstacles/anomalies) or at least maybe if there was a way to get from one sector to another sector of the same diplomacy by direct jump rather than having to trans-fly 4 or more other sectors.
FLT, R. Duine Image Wolf-02 (B-wing)
ImageImageImage

Bountyhunter available 2 highest bidder. P/M me 4 contract.
User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

by FriendlyFire » 04 Oct 2014, 03:20

The grav well display most definitely works. If the button doesn't, try typing % hud grav in chat.

Hyperdrives are staying the way they are. They're designed to take some work, not to be something you can go afk over.
User

Kalis

Rank

Developer

01 Aug 2012, 18:11

The Pantry (I upgraded again)

by Kalis » 06 Oct 2014, 03:10

You can do those more complex jumps but only in-system. Open the tactical overlay (using the wheel) and right click to set your jumps. To change your destination's vertical coordinate hold the right clicker and move it up or down.

In terms of moving system to system, some jumps just can't be made manually. It's part of the strategy aspect that comes with the mod. Yag'Dhul->Polith and Fondor->Tsoss spring immediately to mind. Just make sure neither (the one you are in AND the one you are jumping to) system's star is in your way (or close, they have huge grav wells) then check for planets.

Also, if you have a ship with a scout drive (Y-Wing, TIE Bomber, Nova Courier, Decimator), you can skip across as many systems as you like instead of one at a time. For example, need to jump to Mon Cal from Endor? You can do that provided no grav well is in your way and you have a scout drive. Just expect to spend a half hour in a hyperspace tunnel, and those tunnels can be highly unstable as well. I wouldn't recommend super long distance jumps (they get tedious fast).
Lieutenant Commander Kalis; HIMS Annihilator (retired)
Flight Lieutenant Drakis; Reaper Squadron
Moff Griff; Tapani Sector

User

FriendlyFire

Rank

Developer

by FriendlyFire » 06 Oct 2014, 04:03

Scout drive jumps will also be a prime target for misjumps, so I wouldn't get used to them being as easy as they are right now.
no avatar
User

TeliUmbrarum

17 Dec 2014, 08:15

by TeliUmbrarum » 18 Dec 2014, 19:41

Hey, new player here. Only had an afternoon of play time, but this mod feels amazing. I love star wars and this feels really good. The Hyperspace tunnels are, with no hyperbole, one of the coolest things I've seen in any mod for anything.

I'm looking forward to the gameplay changes in the works, and anything even further down the line. I want to stick around and enjoy this mod for as long as I can and I earnestly hope it gets even better from here.

Thanks for the hard work!
no avatar
User

Daelin

11 Jan 2012, 20:42

Germany

by Daelin » 31 May 2015, 11:38

Since this is the officla feedback thread, I will reply here to the question(s) asked in the 14th Devblog.

I don't use the chase camera at all, turret view all the way in capital ships, though I would welcome the return of turret-tracking, to test that some more.
In recent engagements I had to readjust my camera angel several times and sadly that stops the keyboard input so, my ship stops turning.
With turret tracking that might be easier.
Fleet Admiral Daelin Proudmoore Image
ImageImage
PreviousNext